Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Question about OEM rear diff fluid

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about OEM rear diff fluid

I’m coming up on 100k miles and am doing some preventative maintenance. I changed my diff fluid originally at around 65k miles and have some of the fluid from that change leftover. It has an expiration date on it of June 2017. So my question is, is this fluid still good to use? Since this fluid is about $30/bottle and you only need a little over one bottle I was thinking of buying one new bottle and using that entire bottle then just finishing off the fluid change with the old bottle. What do you guys think? Use the old fluid or stop being cheap and just buy two new bottles?

PS: the fluid I’m referring to is the ac delco fluid (part #92184900). It’s also been stored in a non insulated garage in TX since originally used.
    Last edited by terryscott621; 11-28-2017 at 09:23 AM.
    Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd use it as long as the cap has been on. Seeing as the stuff can be in a diff, getting thoroughly sloshed around for thousands of miles before it's due to be changed, sitting in a bottle can't be that tough on it.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Kinda what I was thinking also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Shake it well or at least invert the bottle periodically in case it starts to s e p a r a t e after sitting.

https://www.mobil.com/en/industrial/...ase-shelf-life
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Shake it, shake it real good.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

Send it.
    '09 WH G8 GT
    Premium/Sport
    Red/Onyx
    Rotofab CAI
    Cortex 93 tune
    20% tint

I just wanted one.

Post Thanks / Like

I need to change my rear end fluid in my truck, I had the Rats rear end changed back in April.
    It cant be that hard to do your self I hope on the truck
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

Being new to the forum, I really appreciate all of the available info. I am old and retired and still playing with cars and trucks. I just changed my differential fluid and will share experience. First, a real easy process with hardest part deciding on fluid. Went with the 92184900 fluid. My local GM dealer did not have the ZF Carbon specific fluid so I almost went with the regular stuff but info on this forum pointed to using the correct fluid's importance. I have rebuilt CHEVY post units where 100% of the clutch disc material had been dissolved by using the incorrect (synthetic) fluid. I bought my fluid from Amazon for about $22 a quart as I could not find it locally. One dealer told me the CHEVY dealership in Laurel, MS has six quarts but that is over 100 miles away. It is nice to have a drain plug!! With car on lift, process was easy. Old fluid was "carbon" black. Put 1.2 quarts of new in with an old suction gun I have had for longer than most members have lived and all is good. I would not hesitate to use old correct fluid in a closed container. I did not use additive and no chatter at this point. Still working on eliminating that "dad-gum" vibration that so many enjoy!