Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC Compressor and Expansion valve - how much should it cost? Is $2100 reasonable?

Post Thanks / Like

Default AC Compressor and Expansion valve - how much should it cost? Is $2100 reasonable?

I had my AC Compressor changed along with expansion valve. It took three visits to my dealer to trouble shoot it and totaled about $2100. Evacuate and recharge ($250), Compressor and labor ($1400), Expansion valve and belts ($450 parts and labor with 10% discount on this part alone - would’ve been $500).

It seems that they put on a wrong belt so I might need to go back and get it resolved.

What is the consensus on these charges? Reasonable?

I have G8 GT (stock)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The compressor is expensive, but not that expensive. It looks like they raped you three times since it looks like you paid for labor three times. Evacuate and recharge, compressor labor, and belt labor is the same since they have to do them together. How much did they charge for the belt?

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

That’s what I thought. Very aggravating. They told me that it was fixed after each job - but clearly it wasn’t and didn’t make sense how it could be either (recharging is clearly a troubleshooting step not a fix!). But I had to pay and pick it up each time after hours when service was closed so really couldn’t discuss it with them.

I’m used to having the labor and recharge cost being credited for the rest of the work, but clearly it wasn’t.

I requested them to put on the belts, because they just put the original belts back with visible cracks on with 150,000 on the clock and over 8 years! And they charged me $100 for both belts.

Essentially double price on the parts compared to gmpartsdirect, and three times the labor

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

AC compressor book time is just over an hour according to a tech friend including charge removal.

Seems a bit low to me on time.

I would ask them to refund some labor costs if they took advantage
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

Dispute it if it's on a card.
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Post Thanks / Like

These cars as too old now to be going to a dealer for repairs. If you can find you a good local shop that not affiliated you might be better off.

Yes that is too much - and I'm curious how they could have diagnosed it wrong enough to need 3 trips. what was it doing?

Good luck and hope it's fixed for a long while.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

well short of a new thread.

one year after tearing down my engine for lifter tick - my AC is no hissing when it's cut on. IE blows air - doesn't get that cool - and there is a hiss like sound from inside the dash.

My first inclination is that it's just low on refrigerant. I hope it's not the expansion valve. and I sure hope it's not the compressor - in fact I doubt it will be.

Is the expansion value near the evaporator on somewhere accessible outside of the firewall?

Post Thanks / Like

Expansion Valve 92192021 was original part, now listed as ac delco 1551385.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

what is the purpose of pulling the remote jump post and that starter cable?

And thank you for that - I'm worried I might have to replace that - looks fairly simple.

I do think I need to charge the system though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    what is the purpose of pulling the remote jump post and that starter cable?
    THose cables lay right over the frame rail AC fitting that is detailed in the next picture. Once you get the cable out of the way the Expansion to frame rail tube assembly can come out easily.