Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gen 5 LT swap? What would it take?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gen 5 LT swap? What would it take?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@PacePerformance View Post
    How does that fix the fact that the LT switched the intake and exhaust valve positions so the exhaust ports have moved? Lining up the G8 header tubes onto the LT flange would move the header around too much and cause interference with other vehicle components. Customer headers would need to be fab'd IMO.
    Seems as if even with the switching of the intake to exhaust side and vice versa it didn’t really affect the placement of the headers at all, if it did from this pictures it wouldn’t be enough to make it a an issue “it seems”. That’s a Gen III/IV exhaust gasket being compared to a Gen 5 L83 block. (Picture is not mine)

Edit: I get what you are saying now. Only one way to find out though (someone has to try it lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@PacePerformance View Post
    Piggy backing to the stock ECU is really the only way to get this engine to integrate with the G8 systems.
    -Greg
    I agree, but it seems this can be done though if one really wanted to do it. If a G8 GT header can fit (which I believe it can) the biggest hurdle is piggy backing the system to allow it to function like stock I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Greed; 09-21-2017 at 06:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's really a bad idea. The cost of the motor itself, plus all of the little things to make it work, plus labor will easily be more than what the average G8 is worth. For less money and WAY less complexity you can build a bulletproof LS3 with your choice of FI and make all the power you want. There is no value proposition in reinventing the wheel here.

Post Thanks / Like

Whether it is or it isn’t I’ll never discourage anyone from trying anything, that actually possible this is what hotrodding is, if He was trying to stuff a coyote engine in here than I would understand saying it’s a bad idea, but this a GM engine in a GM car just have to use your brain or pay someone for their brain bit more these days with these newer engines. If we all had that mind set all the time Gen III and Gen IV would have never made it this far when it comes to ls swaps and such

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I went from a mild build L76 G8 GT to a stock C7 and absolutely love the LT1, but for the ease of the install, I would go with an LS7 converted to a wet sump setup or go with the LS3 from a Corvette or manual Camaro. I say that because the auto Camaro engine is an LS3 variant called the L99. It comes setup with DOD and variable valve timing which most prefer not to use. If your L76 is salvageable, it would also be a great engine to build, but the money spent on it and DOD delete could go towards the other options. You can't really go wrong with any of them. Just depends on how much power you want and what your budget looks like.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Marty

G8 gone, but not forgotten...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
    It's really a bad idea. The cost of the motor itself, plus all of the little things to make it work, plus labor will easily be more than what the average G8 is worth. For less money and WAY less complexity you can build a bulletproof LS3 with your choice of FI and make all the power you want. There is no value proposition in reinventing the wheel here.
    I have to agree with you. Having a unique G8 is no longer a thing.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Unique is one thing. Going down a rabbit hole you may never get out of is something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    I have to agree with you. Having a unique G8 is no longer a thing.
    The main difference between a updated L76 and an LT1 is of course direct vs port injection, but in terms of efficiency and reliability I would argue a similarly spec'd L76 with VVT AFM cam, forged relieved pistons, is still a much better path than the LT1.
    I understand the advancements enabled by the e92 ECU offering exotic AFM and VVT tricks, and plug and play with the 8 and 10 speed trans, but you can cover all other bases with a well designed L76 build.
    Using raised CR, VVT and AFM you can easily surpass the LT1 output and retain 550 rpm idle, 27-30 mpg, better than 93% LT4 peak output. But all motor.
    Reckon this is a logical upgrade path when you look into ECU, protocol and tuning issues with a swap. I use OS segments from the 2016 Stingray e92 tune in our e38 and get most of the practical Gen V advances with an updated L76. Without the drawback of DI.
    In terms of reliability (of high CR+VVT+AFM+e85), this is my daily, done 190,000 miles (7.5 x circumnavigation of the earth).
    Last edited by pir4te; 10-01-2017 at 08:12 PM.
    Compression is King. Race-built VVT brawler hauler with Stingray tune.

Supernaturally as-pirated, all-alcohol, all-motor.

Post Thanks / Like

The Gen V requires a high flow, stable pressure fuel system. There is a separate Fuel pump controls module that maintains 58 PSI and a guaranteed fuel flow. Used PWM on the pump. If the fuel system is not correct you can starve the DI pump and ruin it. Also, has no provision for a P/S pump since all Gen V cars have Elec P/S. The P/S pump position is occupied by a Vacuum boost pump for the brake booster. I considered this engine for my swap into a 1987 El Camino. I have a L86 in my Escalade and a LT1 in my Corvette. The difficulties right now don't justify the effort in trailblazing to put the LT series in older cars. I am going with a de-DOD'd L76 and 6L80E.