Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: P0700 - p0717

Post Thanks / Like

Default P0700 - p0717

So twice now I've gotten these codes with at least 800 miles in between them so I decided to go ahead and order the speed sensor. I keep finding 2 part numbers 24278522 and 24265535 so I ordered both.

I recently had the CTSV torque converter and Camaro 3.27 diff installed. The codes happened after the install, at least 1k miles+ after. I also have Livernois 1C Cam and DOD delete kit, Rotofab, Kooks mids to Corsa and full dyno trans tune. Suspension bits too but no relevant here.

My questions are...

Are there any symptoms to the sensor failure? Would I have been feeling anything? Driveability?

Could a too aggressive trans tune/shift firmness cause it to fail?

Could my combination of parts have caused it?

Was it correctly tuned after the converter/diff?

She makes great power 440, but I've never really liked my 1-2 and 2-3 shift, I think at very low rpm it bangs too hard, WOT it's fine. And at say inching up at a red light or inching along in traffic it's super jerky, it's a little smother if I us manual and 2nd but still a little jerky. My research on the 1C said it wouldn't do that and then my tech said the torque converter swap would definitely clear it up but it hasn't, not even a little. Could the failing sensor be causing these things? Of all my mods and tuning these two issues drive me crazy every drive especially since I chose every mod specifically to add power but to keep it daily driving friendly.

I'll replace the sensor for sure but I'm just a little fustrated and would love any input. I feel like I'm almost ready to wrap up my G8 experience and move on.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems to be a common error code on cammed cars from what I can tell. Your sensor is probably fine. My understanding is that the sensitivity is set pretty stringently for input vs output. When we put a cam in, the loping causes input variation outside what the error thresholds are for this parameter and it throws a code. Mine does it from time to time and it's always at a stoplight at idle. I just clear the code (I have HPTuners but you can also do it by shutting the car off and restarting...won't clear the code maybe but will reset from the limp mode). The tuner can change the alert level from 1 occurrence to 2 which may keep it from recurring as much. Bottom line is that there's likely nothing actually wrong besides the annoyance.
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, both times it happened I was stopped and in manual mode 2nd gear, them a slight bump as it went to 3rd and limp mode. I have a scanner so both times I just shut it off and cleared it.

I wish I had my own HP tuners, lately I feel like I'm kinda bothering my tuner. Sometimes they take their tune personally, like art, and I feel he gets offended or mad when I ask for changes.

But hearing this from you I think I might just return the parts back to Amazon and skip the repair.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hilliard View Post
    It seems to be a common error code on cammed cars from what I can tell. Your sensor is probably fine. My understanding is that the sensitivity is set pretty stringently for input vs output. When we put a cam in, the loping causes input variation outside what the error thresholds are for this parameter and it throws a code. Mine does it from time to time and it's always at a stoplight at idle. I just clear the code (I have HPTuners but you can also do it by shutting the car off and restarting...won't clear the code maybe but will reset from the limp mode). The tuner can change the alert level from 1 occurrence to 2 which may keep it from recurring as much. Bottom line is that there's likely nothing actually wrong besides the annoyance.
    Doug, kinda off topic but how do I get into HPtuners? When I search it I find so many models? And quite expensive. I'd like to learn it and have the ability to make minor changes as I learn. Any recommendations?

Thanks

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vlj1216 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, both times it happened I was stopped and in manual mode 2nd gear, them a slight bump as it went to 3rd and limp mode. I have a scanner so both times I just shut it off and cleared it.

I wish I had my own HP tuners, lately I feel like I'm kinda bothering my tuner. Sometimes they take their tune personally, like art, and I feel he gets offended or mad when I ask for changes.

But hearing this from you I think I might just return the parts back to Amazon and skip the repair.
    That's what I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by vlj1216 View Post
    Doug, kinda off topic but how do I get into HPtuners? When I search it I find so many models? And quite expensive. I'd like to learn it and have the ability to make minor changes as I learn. Any recommendations?

Thanks
    No problem; I got mine from Adam Cooper at ACEPerformance.biz. You can contact him and discuss which one to buy. I can't remember the name of my package but it comes with two credits so I can tune my car only; least expensive package I expect. I don't do any tuning but I can get an email tune from my tuner (Rick Crawford) and flash it in if needed. mainly I use it to monitor sensors via a tablet I have mounted in the car. I use it to lock my converter when drag racing as well as checking/clearing codes.
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

Post Thanks / Like

The stall difference between the stock G8 and CTS isn't much in terms of the actual stall RPM. You might have to go with a higher stall or try and lower your idle RPM to completely get rid of the idle surging (if you can't tune it out or lower the idle RPM). Mine surges badly with the stock converter and an 800rpm idle with the stock stall, but I've never had either of those codes, FWIW.

Don't worry about bugging your tuner, you paid hundreds of dollars (more than likely) for a tune you want/expect. Don't settle on a mediocre tune. The big tuners are busy, they probably have dozens of people per day asking for tune revisions.

There's tons of vendors out their for HPT, go with someone reputable and get the Pro version. The "Standard" version is a pain in the ass to wire in a wideband to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
    The stall difference between the stock G8 and CTS isn't much in terms of the actual stall RPM. You might have to go with a higher stall or try and lower your idle RPM to completely get rid of the idle surging (if you can't tune it out or lower the idle RPM). Mine surges badly with the stock converter and an 800rpm idle with the stock stall, but I've never had either of those codes, FWIW.

Don't worry about bugging your tuner, you paid hundreds of dollars (more than likely) for a tune you want/expect. Don't settle on a mediocre tune. The big tuners are busy, they probably have dozens of people per day asking for tune revisions.

There's tons of vendors out their for HPT, go with someone reputable and get the Pro version. The "Standard" version is a pain in the ass to wire in a wideband to.
    My converter is the V, apx 1800-2000, but yeah not much higher than stock. My idle right now is at apx 750. You never got those codes huh? Maybe I should just swap out the sensor, really not a big job.

I agree with you on the tuning, it should in the end be set how I ultimately want it. My tune definitely isn't mediocre, 444hp/405tq. I think it's just a little too agressive, especially the trans tune for my daily driving, traffic driving, drop the kid to school traffic driving .

I'll keep reading and studying up on the HPT, I'm a DIYer and I hate not having any control on my tune.