Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: ABS Delete

Post Thanks / Like

Default ABS Delete

Has anyone removed the ABS module on their car? My car is becoming more and more a track only car and I could use the room for my turbo headers. Mechanically it looks simple, any issues with the electronics? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

without the computer attached you will get a number of messages on your DIC. And It might not allow the car to start - I'm unsure of that one.

I'd say you could relocate it - IE remove the plumbing - run your brake lines directly - IE around it - so that the module only has air in it - move the module somewhere else - and run a harness extension.

second option would be to take the diagram and connect the right pins so the BCM will see the ABS module is there - but inactive. I know it's been done on some GTO's but their computers are a little different and it might not care a module is missing. G8 is newer with more interconnection.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

I'd try "tracking" the car with the stability control disabled before I removed it... you may find it is helping you. If it is helping, I'd look into relocating the unit- which would be a bunch of lines to fab, and a harness to stretch. If the pitch/yaw/roll sensor(s) are in the unit, it might need to be installed in the same orientation wherever you end up putting it (MIEngineer can prob chime in here with a lot more knowledge).

Post Thanks / Like

as far as I know the accelerometers used for the calculations are not in the unit under the hood. That is only the ABS control valves and it's power supply and motor. - however orientation is important but for the valve body and it's feed lines. If I recall. I'm not 100% certain it uses accelerometers for calculations but rather using the individual wheel speeds and steering angle input from the column as it's main control factors.

accelerometers you would want to place closest to the centroid of the car for stable readings. - if I recall they are in the airbag control module/event recorder. under the center console.

Track as in drag stip or track as in road course. If drag strip I'd look more into removal - if road course I would look more into moving it and keeping it plumbed to the brakes for the benefits of the system. (yes even when TC/DCS is off there is still some benefit and it helps in reducing your overall brake distance)
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

I would avoid removing anything such as that from the system. It is not about hust the part. I've seen people relocate modules and they end up going back (even with custom cnc brackets etc) due to vibration issues at new locations crwcking brackets or otherwise.

If you really want no interaction, and i am in no way implying you should do this, just disconnect the wheel speed sensor at the harness to mimick the fault of the common harness / broken wire issue - it will kick off abs, stabilitrak, etc .

Or hold down the button and disable if you want a temp review as mentioned above.

There is a lot of interaction with the brake line routing and that module - you will cause more issues than you may fix with a relocation. With it intact, you can at least service with factory parts / lines etc as well

The cal on the G8 abs/stabilitrak/tcs is very lax in comparison with other vehicles and i have rarely found it to interfere in spirited driving...

This was all pretty much covered above, just supporting.
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T