Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GXP replacement shocks and struts

Post Thanks / Like

Default GXP replacement shocks and struts

What GM part numbers replace the stock FE3 shocks and struts(discontinued) part numbers shocks 92269786, Left Strut 92217535 and Right Strut 92217536.

Post Thanks / Like

Or H&R coilovers.

VIP Member with OCD Executor999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dunlin1 View Post
    What GM part numbers replace the stock FE3 shocks and struts(discontinued) part numbers shocks 92269786, Left Strut 92217535 and Right Strut 92217536.
    There are no replacement part numbers, they are simply discontinued in the US. I obtained them through an online auto parts store in Australia late last year. Naturally they are a bit more expensive but they are available.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

'Charlie the GRRRR8' - Rest in Peace 11/14/2013

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The struts and shocks for the 2011/2012 Chevrolet Caprice PPV (Police Pursuit Vehicle) is a low cost/high performance alternative (<$300). Frts 506-882, 506-883 ; Rears 560-726

Got them installed on my GT and with the rest of the suspension stock and 18 inch tires (except for poly struts bushings), it is the perfect sport/touring combo for me. Be aware that some have said that the PPVs are firmer than the Fe3s while others have said they are the same and others have said they are too firm (to the point of pulling them out). Also, all these different reactions are not just personal preference, I truly come to believe that for some reason the G8 has a large range of differing responses to suspension mods. Of course, if you have other suspension mods or even larger rims/tires, that increases the likelihood of increased NVH.

Post Thanks / Like

The PPV being a heavier car should have a stiffer damping rate - coupled with stiffer springs that goes with that weight. However they are also progressive dampers like the FE3 was, so they will react a bit to the velocity of the car (up and down not your speed).

I don't think they would be much harsher than any other strut for the car. Sadly though - finding struts for these cars is gradually getting harder
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
    Or H&R coilovers.
    Or Pedders
    2009 GT PBM Sport/Premium Packs
    Kook's / Corsa / Roto Fab CAI with HSRK / Polished Camaro's with Nitto Invo's / Camaro Brembo's / GRRRR8 Hose & ARP Bolt kits / VG Fin / GXP diffuser / Black door trim & other goodies from CP / UPR catch can / Livernois / BMR / Russell / Jet-Hot / SunTech tint by Drew / MM / Adams / Klearz / TSS

Post Thanks / Like

I so that think they are progressive damping. But progressive spring rate.
    The most affordable car I know of with progressive dampening is the gen 5 z28. "spool valve" dampening. Next cheapest is a Lamborghini.
    Progressive dampening is a big deal.
    They may have a "duel rate" basicly two sets of valves one small and soft the other big and stiff.
    The stiff one opens to relive the small one when it's wide open basically.
    Most top end coilovers have duel valve. Or an adjustable bypass dump. That's the simple way to adjust rate.

But with that said. All valving is semi progressive. Simply because more pressure on the spring washer opens for more flow so the spring rate if graphed is on a slant.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuildItYourSelf View Post
    I so that think they are progressive damping. But progressive spring rate.
    The most affordable car I know of with progressive dampening is the gen 5 z28. "spool valve" dampening. Next cheapest is a Lamborghini.
    Progressive dampening is a big deal.
    They may have a "duel rate" basicly two sets of valves one small and soft the other big and stiff.
    The stiff one opens to relive the small one when it's wide open basically.
    Most top end coilovers have duel valve. Or an adjustable bypass dump. That's the simple way to adjust rate.

But with that said. All valving is semi progressive. Simply because more pressure on the spring washer opens for more flow so the spring rate if graphed is on a slant.
    Always enjoy your knowledge around here, thanks.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Just not the Grammer and what not. Haha
    You should here me try and explain stuff to people in person. Haha Not a man of proper words and stuff. But it makes sense to me when I say it.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuildItYourSelf View Post
    Just not the Grammer and what not. Haha
    You should here me try and explain stuff to people in person. Haha Not a man of proper words and stuff. But it makes sense to me when I say it.
    Most of my Google searches involve words I can't spell.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.