Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing with the G8?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Towing with the G8?

I have found conflicting info on the capacity.
    GM says 2,000 lbs
    Holden says 4,000 lbs

I am looking at towing 1,500 lbs
    The trailer is 1,046 lbs and figuring 300-400lbs of gear.

My concerns
    I would need to be in manual mode using 5 th?
    I would need rear coil over shocks?
    How would the stall converter like it? They pull trailers during drag week!

Has anyone used the G8 for towing?

Here is what I am looking to tow

My wife and I are going to try camping. Arizona has so many state and federal parks here,it is absolutely beautiful. Now I have my reservations about this. We usually only camp at the Holiday Inn.

I have found a couple of places in Phoenix that rent this pretty reasonable. My plan is to rent one a couple of times to see how it goes.
    This is what I really want to do,however I will take baby steps toward this.
    I only planning using the G8 a few times to pull this trailer. While I want to buy a Jeep I am not ready to drain the savings or take on another car payment right now.

I may regret this but, thoughts on my plan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

My folks talked about one of those for a while, because they do travel quite a lot. They do the B&B thing, and largely avoid chain hotels. They went down and looked at one and that was enough... they're back to B&Bs. It was wise to take the time and give it a trial run before diving in.

Me personally, once the kiddos are out and on their own, I think it would be really really cool to try out. Something to get you away from home and out of the ordinary - explore and teach your mind new things. It would really force you out of your comfort zone, and that would be pretty cool to me.

Good luck to you two. If you make it up this way, it's beautiful country, and we even have warm beds to sleep in!!
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

All I know is Paul always talked about how much better the Holden hitch was than the one found here in the U.S. He said it was rated for more weight. The stall and high trans temps is what I'd worry about.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

The driveline will have no problem. The hitch is the weak link.
    I knew a dude who pulled a 30 foot camper with a ford torus hundreds of miles many times a year for years in pa up and down hills. Nothing broke. Just lots of front break rotors. Haha
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Just gotta get the class III hitch from Australia !
    Class I sold in USA, 1 1/4" receiver.....2,000lbs
    Class III sold in AUS 2" receiver.....4500lbs

I tow the little G, 3,000lbs, on a dolly, see below, and no issue at all.
    I have the trans cooler on the GXP, so I'd do that at least.
    09 G8 GXP Auto, 4dr GTO 13.60@104.2 6177 DA.... tvs2300 13.2@110.2 spinnig all the way !
    07 G5 GT 2.4T Auto, Baby GTO 13.20@106.4
    @ 4200' in the sky !
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewbrooks87 View Post
    towing stuff with cars is cool !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    All I know is Paul always talked about how much better the Holden hitch was than the one found here in the U.S. He said it was rated for more weight. The stall and high trans temps is what I'd worry about.
    I have a large trans cooler already. Yeah it looks like I would need to import the hitch.

2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GXP-G8 View Post
    Just gotta get the class III hitch from Australia !
    Class I sold in USA, 1 1/4" receiver.....2,000lbs
    Class III sold in AUS 2" receiver.....4500lbs

I tow the little G, 3,000lbs, on a dolly, see below, and no issue at all.
    I have the trans cooler on the GXP, so I'd do that at least.
    Thanks. The trans cooler I have is bigger than the GXP. Did you change the shocks?

Post Thanks / Like

Running stock shocks and springs.
    I tow in sport mode.
    09 G8 GXP Auto, 4dr GTO 13.60@104.2 6177 DA.... tvs2300 13.2@110.2 spinnig all the way !
    @ 4200' in the sky !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GXP-G8 View Post
    Running stock shocks and springs.
    I tow in sport mode.
    Any photos?

Post Thanks / Like

TOWING 001.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    @ 4200' in the sky !