Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Towing with the G8?

Post Thanks / Like
    09 G8 GXP Auto, 4dr GTO 13.60@104.2 6177 DA.... tvs2300 13.2@110.2 spinnig all the way !
    07 G5 GT 2.4T Auto, Baby GTO 13.20@106.4
    @ 4200' in the sky !
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewbrooks87 View Post
    towing stuff with cars is cool !

Post Thanks / Like

thanks
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

Post Thanks / Like

Dont forget about the tires...you could easily exceed the load capacity of your tires and have a very bad day.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the class3 hitch from Australia. You can tow a LOT with this hitch. Tubular steel slides into your frame rails and bolts right in. I tow my motorcycle trailer and a 2k lb popup camper all the time. Its like its not even there. I once towed a 3k lb car on a 1k lb uhaul flatbed but only a few miles on local streets. That was ok for such a short trip since I had limited choices for that tow, but it was too much.

IMO your transmission/cooling/tires/etc rest of car is more than up to the task for towing heavy up to 3k lbs (in Australia you can get a class 5 5k lb hitch for the same car). Where the car is weak is the rear springs. They sag and you need a well balanced load. If what your towing will put a lot of weight down on the car (tongue weight) it will sag and you cant tow much because it will lighten the front of the car. You dont want your front tires losing weight, because you lose the same amount of steering/braking in an emergency. If what you're towing is heavy but balanced so the tongue weight is minimal the car is balanced fine and can easily handle the push and pull weight.

Again, this is with the class 3 Holden hitch. The reason I got it was everything sold here is a 1k lb "under the rear bumper" hitch that bolts to the bottom of the frame. i dont have any experience with the small hitch, but I can say the car can tow a lot just fine.
    Last edited by TurboMike; 11-15-2017 at 09:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    Something to get you away from home and out of the ordinary - explore and teach your mind new things. It would really force you out of your comfort zone, and that would be pretty cool to me.
    THIS!!!! Expand your mind Following to see how this goes. Good Luck!