Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Upgrade struts and springs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Upgrade struts and springs

I just ordered some lowering springs and wanna change the struts and shocks at the same time what's a good set I saw on ace performance has a ppv shock kit just wanna know if there's Better options and if anyone has advise on this install. I'll be changing my rear dif at the same time. Any help would be best

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have PPVs on a stock suspension with 18 inch wheels/tires and poly strut bushings. Perfect sport sedan/touring car for me (works for the wife too and no complaints from rear seat passengers). However, there are folks that found the PPVs too harsh and even pulled them off. Don't know what other factors may be contributing to the complaints of a harsh ride. Someone who recently pulled his PPVs off and replaced them with Konis said the Konis, even set to full stiff, ride much better than PPVs. So Konis would be the safe direction to take unless you don't have to listen/answer to anyone that rides in your G8.

Post Thanks / Like

I often wonder if these guys are timing their suspension bushings.

In a nut shell loosen all rotating bushings then let suspension settle retighten and it keeps them from binding and ruining your ride.

Justice Pete of JPSS explains it all for the Camaro. They're essentially the same car suspension wise.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    I often wonder if these guys are timing their suspension bushings.

In a nut shell loosen all rotating bushings then let suspension settle retighten and it keeps them from binding and ruining your ride.
    Could be, but I think the G8 is on the edge of "comfort" as I've seen many suspension mods (like poly strut bushings) that for half of us was 'no real NVH effect' while others complained and even pulled them out. I'm seeing similar for the PPVs. While I have both poly strut bushings and PPVs, it's still comfortable as my touring car but if you do other mods like bushings, larger rims, lowering springs and even choice of tires, these have an multiplying effect and could push the G8 over the edge for comfort.

For instance tires, I mounted Michelin AS/3s and now have a rear tire hum above 65 mph. Previously was going to do the rear cradle insert mod but that could magnify the tire hum, so its off the list.

Post Thanks / Like

This car is more of a drag racing weekend car than anything else.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nofilter83 View Post
    This car is more of a drag racing weekend car than anything else.
    OK good, so anything goes. PPVs seem to be the cheapest strut/shock upgrade (considering fe3s are off the market now).

Post Thanks / Like

Are the ppv a good shock for drag racing looking for some feed back before I order them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhatNext View Post
    Could be, but I think the G8 is on the edge of "comfort" as I've seen many suspension mods (like poly strut bushings) that for half of us was 'no real NVH effect' while others complained and even pulled them out. I'm seeing similar for the PPVs. While I have both poly strut bushings and PPVs, it's still comfortable as my touring car but if you do other mods like bushings, larger rims, lowering springs and even choice of tires, these have an multiplying effect and could push the G8 over the edge for comfort.

For instance tires, I mounted Michelin AS/3s and now have a rear tire hum above 65 mph. Previously was going to do the rear cradle insert mod but that could magnify the tire hum, so its off the list.
    I think you're right. I view the car as a Sports Sedan and don't expect it to ride like a Caddy, I think more like BMW.

I have yet to get around to doing the PPV and Tein springs. They're sitting there with some SS brake lines and some Polyelast strut mounts.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    I think you're right. I view the car as a Sports Sedan and don't expect it to ride like a Caddy, I think more like BMW.

I have yet to get around to doing the PPV and Tein springs. They're sitting there with some SS brake lines and some Polyelast strut mounts.

What are you waiting for? (lol) I couldn't wait to get the mushy fe2s off (only 25k on them at the time). But in general, the resulting ride due to suspension/tire/rim mods (good or bad) seems more than personal preference as specific symptoms for complaints some get, some don't.

To Nofilter83's question of what dampers are good for drag racing - I can't answer that, so hopefully the experienced drag racing folks will chime in soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhatNext View Post
    What are you waiting for? (lol) I couldn't wait to get the mushy fe2s off (only 25k on them at the time). But in general, the resulting ride due to suspension/tire/rim mods (good or bad) seems more than personal preference as specific symptoms for complaints some get, some don't.

To Nofilter83's question of what dampers are good for drag racing - I can't answer that, so hopefully the experienced drag racing folks will chime in soon.
    The G8 is actually the wife's car. Getting a couple of days that I can get the parts installed and aligned can be challenging, between my work and her schedule is a big pain in the...