Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LED headlamp conversion

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I ordered morimoto extensions. Haven't had the chance to get them in though. I think I might leave a small downward facing hole to help cooling a little, but not have the gaping hole one has with no cap at all.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

VIP Member with OCD Executor999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am also doing this project and have deliberately run a slow schedule to make sure I've thought things out. My original headlamps are so trashed that I am starting with new ones and have the liberty of mocking things up. You can see the back of the headlamp assembly here and the two dust covers.

Here the dust covers are removed and you can see the stock lights installed.

Compare one of the stock lights with the new LEDs I bought from Amazon.

Here are the decoders you need in order to trick the computer to accept the lower wattage of the LED bulbs. They are definitely required for the low beams, but if you don't use your high beams often then you can get away without using decoders. I like to play it safe.

Here are the LEDS installed, both low beam and high beam. You can plainly see that the heat sink sticks out and thus the bulb is much larger than the stock ones. This will vary depending on which brand of LEDS you get

If there wasn't a wire sticking out of the back of the LED bulb, the dust cover would fit - albeit with not much clearance.

I am torn between not using dust covers and modifying the stock ones so they will provide at least some protection. My current idea is to drill out the middle, add a grommet that will allow the heat from the heat sink to escape, provide space for the wires and provide some protection against moisture and dust.

Hope this info helps your decisions. I'm glad to hear that those who aren't using the dust covers haven't had major issues.

FYI, I bought these from Amazon after Curtis (texn884) recommended them.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alla Lighting also makes fog light LEDs
    Last edited by Executor999; 07-04-2017 at 01:09 PM.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

'Charlie the GRRRR8' - Rest in Peace 11/14/2013

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had to use decoders.

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it doesn't help since I don't have a g8 but I did the same thing you are planning to do Executor999. I drilled my dust caps and used a grommet to seal them up with the wires on my Charger.
    2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
    2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    I know it doesn't help since I don't have a g8 but I did the same thing you are planning to do Executor999. I drilled my dust caps and used a grommet to seal them up with the wires on my Charger.
    How did it work out Zodiac? No issues with heat build up from the LED bulb heat sinks?

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Executor999 View Post
    How did it work out Zodiac? No issues with heat build up from the LED bulb heat sinks?
    I actually am using HID bulbs. I know of several people that have done it with LED and 0 issues. I almost went for the LED, but decided HID was best for my night driving.
    2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
    2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    I haven't had to use decoders.
    I didn't see your post the first around. What brand of LEDs are you using? I will test mine without the decoders first.
    Last edited by Executor999; 07-04-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

They are Nighteye. I think I linked them above. I put the same ones in our Town & Country and it did need the decoders.

Winter-wear:

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

So today I went through the carwash. I've done it several times since putting in the LEDs and leaving the dust caps off, but this time I used a different place that happens to have stronger underbody sprayers. Tonight, I have horrendous condensation in the headlights. I'm sure there will be spots and run marks in the morning.

Winter-wear: