Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Speed bleeders yes or no?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speed bleeders yes or no?

Two questions.
    Are speed bleeders worth it, and does anyone know if a brake system flush can be done with them in place.
    Talked with one of the few places I would trust to do a brake flush, but they were unsure if the pressure of their machine would work with the check valve arrangement in the bleeders.
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO not worth it.

I use a ASTRO Pneumatic vacuum pump (large plastic cylinder with a piston that you manually stroke to develop a vacuum). Hook a plastic tube to the bleeder valve on the caliber and open the valve. The brake fluid is drawn out of the caliber and into the vacuum pump cylinder. Just did brake fluid flushes on 3 vehicles last year by myself. No pumping of the pedal needed as the vacuum draws the fluid from the reservoir. Just keep the reservoir full with new brake fluid.
    Last edited by WhatNext; 06-02-2017 at 04:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhatNext View Post
    IMO not worth it.

I use a ASTRO Pneumatic vacuum pump (large plastic cylinder with a piston that you manually stroke to develop a vacuum). Hook a plastic tube to the bleeder valve on the caliber and open the valve. The brake fluid is drawn out of the caliber and into the vacuum pump cylinder. Just did brake fluid flushes on 3 vehicles last year by myself. No pumping of the pedal needed as the vacuum draws the fluid from the reservoir. Just keep the reservoir full with new brake fluid.
    Agreed.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

I also don't think the speed bleeders are worth it. I use a Motive brake bleeder and it works great. It's the opposite of how @whatnext's vacuum bleeder works, it actually pushes the old fluid out while replacing it with new fluid. Works great and easy to use with only one person. The advantage of the vacuum bleeder over the pressure bleeder is that with the pressure bleeder like mine you have to buy an adapter that fits onto the brake fluid reservoir (different adapters for different cars) to form an air tight seal and with the vacuum bleeder you just need the bleeder and no adapters.
    Last edited by terryscott621; 06-04-2017 at 07:46 AM.
    Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)

5. Thanks -Ray- thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I would pass. Often they work for a while and then open potential to leak - or worse some cause clearance issues.

Having used both the vac system - and now owning the motive pressure bleed system. I like the motive best. it costs a little bit more to get into but damn it works well.

and clean and faster. Now I say faster - since you can put pressure there - you can also keep it on for a while - also helps spot leaks you won't find if you vac bleed. which is good when you do a full line swap.

so if I was going to put a bit o money into something - I'd put it toward a motive system - or one like it. Or consider a DIY fab - which I also thought about.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

There are also the fairly new one person reverse bleeders, I just learned about them recently and haven't had a chance to use one yet. They look promising... I think it's the only one that will bleed abs brakes without scan tool and do reverse, vacuum, pressure and bench bleeding all with the same tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Syste.../dp/B00GRV800S

I went with speed bleeders originally when I installed my 6pot V2 calipers and haven't had a problem with them yet. Just recently purchased a Motive kit for $50. Thinking I should of probably went with a reverse Bleeder but not 100% sure if it will actually get air out of our abs system.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by G8eraid; 06-05-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry but that line about "only system to bleed ABS ..." is BS. Maybe on older basic ABS systems but I still wouldn't trust it. Why - ABS controllers are fail safe open - meaning in any condition the lines to the calipers are open - though to the master cylinder.

so untill you work those valves - you don't get to the fluid behind them - and you can't magically push fluid though them. Some ABS controllers also have check valves in them for one way flow - this won't do squat for that.

the best way to bleed out and flush a modern ABS car is though the master cylinder though to the calipers - the way the system was meant to work - and to then take the time to flutter the controller and re flush.

What the reverse system is really good at though - filling an empty caliper - and path though to the MC on a car without requiring a bleed. However again for the money I'd buy a pressure pot system which would so the same or similar thing
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes