Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: coolant drain and refill

Post Thanks / Like

Default coolant drain and refill

i need to drain the coolant and add new fresh stuff. Is there a drain valve? is so where? is there a air bleed valve to get the air out?

Post Thanks / Like

Just had his done yesterday. $95 and I didn't have to find a place to dump the fluid.
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

3. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Drain valve is on the bottom, you can't miss it. The system should automatically burp itself. I'm getting close to needing to do this too. My brakes are in DIRE need of it though. Now that I have a hoist, I think more will get done.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Just did this on my GT. Blue drain plug is indented almost midway on the passenger side under front of car.

I used a six sided socket to remove it rather than a phillips screw driver, then removed radiator cap to drain it. Replaced drain plug, added 1 quart distilled water leaving radiator level low so it would empty the overflow tank, replaced cap and turned heater up to maximum as I ran the engine for 10 minutes after reaching normal operating temperature.

After it cooled I replaced the overflow tube from the radiator with a rubber hose running to my drain pan. I then filled the radiator with distilled water and had to repeat the draining process a total of 5 times (except I only ran the engine for 5 minutes after reaching operating temperature) before the radiator drained clear distilled water. I then filled the radiator with concentrated DexCool, replaced the overflow tube, and ran a few errands before topping it off.

Coolant capacity is listed as 11.6 quarts, I used just short of 6 quarts of concentrated DexCool resulting in about a 55/45 mix.

JAM

6. Thanks Chewy thanked for this post
    Likes Chewy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that I have a hoist,
    My mouth cannot form these words. I am about to do mine too. Laying on the floor, probably in puddles of coolant if history repeats itself.

Jam, How many gallons of distilled water did you use?
    Last edited by TonyKarter; 05-28-2017 at 05:46 PM. Reason: how much dist
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

8. Likes Chewy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Used 7 gallons of distilled water.

JAM

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Coolant is the nastiest of all the auto fluids...

Every time I touch the coolant system, I get belt squeak for a month too.
    MGM '09 G8 GT, RCR tuned, RCR cam (223/231 .625/.622 111+0 ), PRC 250CC heads 65cc chambers, RCR "ram air" intake, & ported TB; Spectre 102mm MAF/LS7 card, HSRK, DT headers, Vararam with RCR type air wedge, Solo Mach CB, 3.45 gears & Yank 3200SS stall

Post Thanks / Like

I was about to drain and flush my GT, when I attempted to remove the blue drain plug, it snapped in half. Now not only do I have to try to remove it without seeing any feasible way. I thought about attempting to use an "easy out" or just drill it out. But I'm having a problem locating another plug? I've searched everywhere trying to locate one. GM Parts Direct, Rock Auto, eBay, etc. Can't find one anywhere. Any advice out there?
    Last edited by Bob N; 01-14-2019 at 10:56 AM. Reason: misspelling
    Bob N
    2009 G8 GT
    Panther Black
    Black w/Red Int.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read on some forums that is very important to refill your coolant system. Also, I think that is very important to use a high-quality product. In this way, you will reduce the chances of crashing your coolant system. For example, I use only the coolant from http://www.cararac.com. A lot of friends suggested them. Also, my repairman told me to use it. I am very pleased with their product. Never had any problems with it. My friends have the same opinion. Anyway, I think that is very important to use only high-quality consumables for your car.
    Last edited by Glandon; 03-09-2021 at 05:59 AM.