Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed: CEL after I cleaned vararam filter and MAF card

Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice needed: CEL after I cleaned vararam filter and MAF card

(tuning by Rick Crawford)
    Car was running fine
    > two weeks ago, disconnected battery, removed Vararam, cleaned filter and sprayed CEC MAF clean on my LS7 card style MAF
    > allowed 2+ hours to dry
    >reassembled
    > drove next day and CEL came on
    > hooked up HPT, P0171
    > removed Vararam again and double/tripled checked all connections
    > reassembled
    > drove briefly, threw CEL (this time P0171 and 174 i believe)
    > cleared codes
    > out of desperation, disconnected battery for a couple of hours
    >Bought and started Lucas fuel injector cleaning kit. still on first bottle.
    > drove multiple times and it was fine
    > last night took to grocery store down the street. THE CODE CAME BACK

I didn't touch anything else on the car. I can't believe its a vacuum leak. I've tried to find all the hoses to make sure nothing wiggled loose.

I emailed Rick but he is so busy, he might not ever get to my message.

I have some wild theories....I fried the MAF with that spray OR Rick tuned car long time ago and I kept sending scans and A/F gauge readings of 11.x and he kept leaning out tune till he said he has never cut that much fueling. Was my filter so clogged up that cleaning it tipped me over the edge of too lean and the computer is throwing the code now?

Any suggestions?

its times like these when I almost wish I had a bone stock Vette or something instead of a modded car. I love my G8 soooo much though.
    MGM '09 G8 GT, RCR tuned, RCR cam (223/231 .625/.622 111+0 ), PRC 250CC heads 65cc chambers, RCR "ram air" intake, & ported TB; Spectre 102mm MAF/LS7 card, HSRK, DT headers, Vararam with RCR type air wedge, Solo Mach CB, 3.45 gears & Yank 3200SS stall

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same codes come up when my PCV tube was not installed properly on my VCM.
    Sometimes the filters on the Vararam and VCM do not seat properly.
    As for cleaning the MAFS ..I never heard of an issue due to cleaning it nor the filter. Shouldn't make that huge of a difference unless you had the tune when the filter had 12000 miles of dirt roads on it.
    Last edited by MongosG8; 05-30-2017 at 07:04 AM.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

+ 1 on the pcv connections, if you dont find it there, scan the short fuel trims while spraying carb cleaner on all fittings past the arrow of the maf, when or if short fuel trims drop rapidly, you found the leak area. What did you clean it with ? Not all cleaners agree with maf sensors.may want to double check maf surface
    2009.5 G8 GT Maverick Silver;Sport/Prem,Sunroof, Nav kit,
    Vararam,Holden badge kit, Kooks 1 7/8, VMS Tuned
    2009 White Hot/Red G8 GT;Sport/Prem,Sunroof, Nav kit,,Holden badges,Kooks 1 7/8, Maggie TVS 1900,VMS Tuned. Injection is great but i love being blown!
    2001 Trans Am WS6 NBM/Camel, 6spd. 21K Miles
    2001 G/P GT= beater

Post Thanks / Like

I just yanked apart the intake.

I bought some green filter cleaner. I sealed the pvc connector between MAF and throttle body.

I'm going to lightly oil the filter this time and button it up and see what happens. Orginally I just cleaned out with warm water.

Quote Originally Posted by TA427 View Post
    + 1 on the pcv connections, if you dont find it there, scan the short fuel trims while spraying carb cleaner on all fittings past the arrow of the maf, when or if short fuel trims drop rapidly, you found the leak area. What did you clean it with ? Not all cleaners agree with maf sensors.may want to double check maf surface
    MGM '09 G8 GT, RCR tuned, RCR cam (223/231 .625/.622 111+0 ), PRC 250CC heads 65cc chambers, RCR "ram air" intake, & ported TB; Spectre 102mm MAF/LS7 card, HSRK, DT headers, Vararam with RCR type air wedge, Solo Mach CB, 3.45 gears & Yank 3200SS stall

Post Thanks / Like

I used CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner on the MAF card and the housing and wiped down with a lint free cloth.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh thanks for the replies too!

heck if I keep getting the CEL and the P0171 code, I'm just gonna buy a new MAF card off ebay and install it.

Post Thanks / Like

You wiped the internal sensing part ? Not good, imagine your job is to measure every single gram of air every second. That is way more sensitive than most gals when we spend on our pride and joy !. If you had a scanner and exhuasted the usual checks, you could unplug the sensor and watch the long and short fuel trims and see of they get close to normal + - 8%.. if a bad sensor they will change . Maybe send some close up pics of the maf interior
    2009 White Hot/Red G8 GT;Sport/Prem,Sunroof, Nav kit,,Holden badges,Kooks 1 7/8, Maggie TVS 1900,VMS Tuned. Injection is great but i love being blown!
    2001 G/P GT= beater

Post Thanks / Like

I did not wipe or touch the sensor wires in the card but I did spray inside the card with the MAF spray.

I air dried it afterwards. I'm tuning ignorant. No clue how to watch those engine readings. I pay Rick Crawford for email tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by TA427 View Post
    You wiped the internal sensing part ? Not good, imagine your job is to measure every single gram of air every second. That is way more sensitive than most gals when we spend on our pride and joy !. If you had a scanner and exhuasted the usual checks, you could unplug the sensor and watch the long and short fuel trims and see of they get close to normal + - 8%.. if a bad sensor they will change . Maybe send some close up pics of the maf interior

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya bud, im no tuner either, just a diagnostics wizzard for GM. If you need further help we will walk you through it. Rick is the man, will be contacting him soon for a torque monster blower cam. Keep us posted
    2001 G/P GT= beater

Post Thanks / Like

Update: I had to clear the P0171 twice with HPTuners. The CEL has not come back.

I