Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need a little help with brake squeal after new pads and rotors

Post Thanks / Like

Well guys, I think I may have finally solved my issue. I swapped out the Akebono ceramics for some Autozone Duralast Max ceramics. I followed the standard way of lightly greasing the back of the pads and the top and bottom abutment of the pads where they actually touch the caliper. I also reused all the hardware. After install, I was able to successfully back out of my garage multiple times yesterday with no squeal and again successfully this morning with no squeal. I could notice almost immediately that the Autozone pads don't have as much "bite" as the Akebono's had, but I'll gladly give up a little stopping power for the brakes keeping quiet. I'll keep monitoring over the next few days/weeks to see if the squeal returns.

For whatever reason the Akebono pads didn't like the setup I was running. I had emailed Akebono customer service a week ago and had been communicating with one of their sales reps and telling him about my situation and everything I had been trying. His conclusion was that the black zinc coating that came on the rotors (for rust prevention) might have contaminated the pads. He was very helpful and through our discussion he offered to send me a brand new set of pads at no charge. So cheers to Akebono! Their customer service was really good and really helpful. I would definitely buy their products again.

So in conclusion, the Autozone Duralast Max ceramic pads seemed to have fixed the squealing and I can now reverse with pride and not be shamed by my squealing brakes and strange looks from on lookers in the parking lots of the world.
    Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)

2. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy for ya

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice.

The coating the aftermarket uses on the rotor is a waste of money. You will see rust start sooner than later, unfortunately [but she was also driving her Nissan in the winter]

I used a set on my fiancées 06 Nissan, and they rust like hell. I was mostly curious on the coating [as I am very familiar with the one used in the industry that GM developed]

I also put the ceramics on hers, and the fit was very poor on the Autozone set front and rear. I'm about to warranty them again!
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T