Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery options

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery options

What are the current best options for a replacement battery?
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Been happy with Wmart/Everlast/3yr batteries. Had/have several for various vehicles and last more than 5 yrs each and cost only ~$120.

Yeah, yeah, read about all those AGMs and super duper that. Cost a bunch more and don't last any longer.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had mixed results with Walmart's batteries, twice having failures at about the one year point. I think I'll throw the dice again.
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Post Thanks / Like

Ive had my walmart battery in the Rat over 5.5 years I still have the fricking receipt and was shocked I remember replacing it in the hotel parking lot in Lubbock, TX
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

Most batteries are made by Johnson Controls or Exide and I think the WalMart batteries are by Johnson Controls
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

i purchased the platinum battery from NAPA/Carquest Its made by East Penn ..used to be Exide in USA. What I liked most is the battery has a 75 month and it has 100 more CCA than the stock one. I paid 149.00 bucks for it with my old battery.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

Odyssey. After the one in my Jeep hanging strong for 10 years after all of the abuse it took (multiple full discharges chasing a short, vibration, etc.) I put one in the G8 about 1-2 years ago. Very solid battery. No they are not cheap but you get what you pay for.
    - Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Lead acid: Interstate all day long! We have the same batteries in our boat from 2005! 12 years and never an issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Oreilly's $196 battery. Told the guy that was just too damn much for a battery, that Walmart's were $50 less for equivalent, and that it is just a battery for God's sakes, I thought I was probably just gonna' go over there, and I did a shoulder fake towards the door. He covered my fake by blurting out that they price match. Showed him Walmart's equal at $148.60. He matched it. I bought his. It didn't hurt that he admittedly lusted after the G8 as I drove up. Still, there is something to be said about having a Walmart everywhere that has a ready replacement if theirs goes bad. Not many Oreilly's where I normally drive. Actually, there is not much of anything where I normally drive.
    Last edited by TonyKarter; 05-23-2017 at 12:04 PM.

10. Likes MongosG8, texn884 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AGM H7 from advance autoparts. They had a 30% off coupon bringing it down to ~$140 OTD. They always seem to have coupons available if you do a google search.