Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: DIY VIM unlock, enable Reverse Cam for v9, and other radio tweaks

Post Thanks / Like

Default HOW TO: DIY VIM unlock, enable Reverse Cam for v9, and other radio tweaks

I was able to figure out how to flash VIM unlock, and enable Reverse Cam option for V9 radios, the two difficult radio tweaks that everyone keeps secret. Big thanks to my friend Nic Powell that helped contribute data and bin files for me to flash my radio countless times and figure this out. Please share this with anyone who wants this information, I did it for the car modding community, not for profit.

As always, you perform these mods at your own risk, I am not responsible for any possible damages you cause to your car. Read it thoroughly before attempting anything.

There are plenty of vendors who sell boxes that plug into your OBD2 port that can also perform these tweaks, so if you are unsure about removing your radio and programming an EEPROM, you have options to reach out to online vendors, but now you have a real DIY choice. Enjoy.

Do not download the file, just bookmark it since I will be evolving it as I add more information to the guide.

EDIT: I've had many questions about this. Version 9 is ONLY needed for the factory Reverse Camera feature. All other mods can be performance on ANY version radio.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwy...B5bzl1S2s/view
    Last edited by HoLLo; 06-28-2017 at 05:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this info. Is OFFSET 00E (00 to 55) on EEPROM 'spreadsheet"? I believe OFFSET 635 is on VIM 'spreadsheet'..6across, 15 down.These two things are not as clearly shown as other change settings. Great work, I haven't checked my radio yet to see if it is V9. I hope you see this, my posts usually make the thread disappear from Today's Posts.
    2009 WH GT Prem/Sprt w/Sunroof, Trunk liner, Custom-fitted Sunshade, Sony GPS, LED Rear License Plate Lights. X-PEL Headlight Protectors, Osram Nightbreaker Low- Beams, Redline armrest cover, Raceramp Flatstoppers, Led Reverse Lights, Led Taillights, Led Foglights, Genuine HSV Seat Belt Shouder Pads, Commodore VF rear window interior sunshade direct from AU. No Performance Mods, maybe someday just get a 480HP Crate Engine from GMPerformance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by astynx View Post
    Thanks for this info. Is OFFSET 00E (00 to 55) on EEPROM 'spreadsheet"? I believe OFFSET 635 is on VIM 'spreadsheet'..6across, 15 down.These two things are not as clearly shown as other change settings. Great work, I haven't checked my radio yet to see if it is V9. I hope you see this, my posts usually make the thread disappear from Today's Posts.
    If you click on an offset, the hex editor software will show you the offset that is in the bottom right corner. It will be like 8 digits, the last 3 digits are what you're looking for.

I mostly used HxD hex editor software when I was experimenting, you can make modifications to the files, save them, and open in the programmer software and it made it easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. If my radio is compatable. I will use this guide and install back-up camera. The auto-reverse switch feature has been thr Holy Grail of VIM unlock.
    Last edited by astynx; 05-12-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    2009 WH GT Prem/Sprt w/Sunroof, Trunk liner, Custom-fitted Sunshade, Sony GPS, LED Rear License Plate Lights. X-PEL Headlight Protectors, Osram Nightbreaker Low- Beams, Redline armrest cover, Raceramp Flatstoppers, Led Reverse Lights, Led Taillights, Led Foglights, Genuine HSV Seat Belt Shouder Pads, Commodore VF rear window interior sunshade direct from AU. No Performance Mods, maybe someday just get a 480HP Crate Engine from GMPerformance.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked over your instructions again. This seems do-able. Hopefully I will be able to find a reverse camera with out the lines to use as stated in your instructions.

6. Likes HoLLo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just waiting for my rear aux cable to get to me then I'm going to try this out. I already received all the parts from the DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)

8. Likes HoLLo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This worked well. I was able change everything around on my radio. I did change the color to blue but I think I'm going back to red as it doesn't look appealing with the red buttons. I do have a V9 radio but I want to note the reverse camera enable was not at 635 on mine. It was at 633.
    Phillip M.
    09.5 SBM GT Sports/Premium/Roof

Engine: Stock Bottom End
    Heads: Stock, LS3 Intake, LY6 Exhaust, Milled
    Cam: BTR IV PD
    Intake: Stock Intake, Stock TB, LS7 MAF, Volant CAI
    Exhaust: 1-7/8 Kooks LT's, Off-Road Pipes, Corsa cat-back
    Fuel: Fore Twin Ti 450's, Vaporworx, E85, Bosch Injectors
    Drivetrain: 6L80, Sonnax
    Suspension: BMR 15" Strange Coilovers
    Wheels/Tires: 15x10 RT-S on 275/60R15 Pro's, 17x5 Weld on M/T 28"
    Ported LSA Blower, 9.55/2.55, 102 TB, Chiller

High Compression/Boost/E85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phil@PnP Tech View Post
    I do have a V9 radio but I want to note the reverse camera enable was not at 635 on mine. It was at 633.
    How did you figure this out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)

Post Thanks / Like

Edit...

I was wrong. The reverse enable was at 635 just like the instructions stated. The only deviation was that mine from the factory was set to 00 and not 02 like the instructions states.

Changing 633 to 01 enables a menu option called "HMS Messages"... whatever that is I dont know.

I've attached my BIN's to compare.

G8 Radio Bins.zip
    Last edited by Phil@PnP Tech; 05-17-2017 at 04:02 PM.
    Phillip M.
    09.5 SBM GT Sports/Premium/Roof

Engine: Stock Bottom End
    Heads: Stock, LS3 Intake, LY6 Exhaust, Milled
    Cam: BTR IV PD
    Intake: Stock Intake, Stock TB, LS7 MAF, Volant CAI
    Exhaust: 1-7/8 Kooks LT's, Off-Road Pipes, Corsa cat-back
    Fuel: Fore Twin Ti 450's, Vaporworx, E85, Bosch Injectors
    Drivetrain: 6L80, Sonnax
    Suspension: BMR 15" Strange Coilovers
    Wheels/Tires: 15x10 RT-S on 275/60R15 Pro's, 17x5 Weld on M/T 28"
    Ported LSA Blower, 9.55/2.55, 102 TB, Chiller

High Compression/Boost/E85

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phil@PnP Tech View Post
    Edit...

Changing 633 to 01 enables a menu option called "HMS Messages"... whatever that is I dont know.

G8 Radio Bins.zip
    That is for the Holden Massage System. It was usually fitted to very upmarket Luminas for the middle east. It allows you to communicate messages through the radio to tell the massaging seats what to do. If you can figure out the happy endings code I am sure there will be much interest from that region on that. Unfortunately the US G8s do not come with the proper seats for any of it to work.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq