Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Ford Mustang rental car

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ford Mustang rental car

Don't flame me. Believe me, it takes a lot for me to go out of my way to praise a Ford, much less a Mustang, but I have to give credit where credit is due.
    Business travel to SeaTac area this week. We arrived and on the shuttle to the rental car facility we were passing several lots filled with Priuses and looked at each other and thought "this blows." We get to the rental facility and Avis suggested a Prius for $294 over 3 days. Asked what else is available, selection was a minivan or a Mustang. The rep said "I think it's a V8 too" and I thought well I don't actually want a V8 because if something should happen, the V8 is just an excuse to pin some blame on the driver. We asked how much and they said $274.
    ...what did you just say? This is less than the Prius? And it's not a Prius?
    Ok, had him verify any of these vehicles were actually available and the Mustang was, but he didn't confirm it was a V8. Figuring it was a basic V6 when we walked up to it, loaded luggage and time to go. Upon leaving the facility we were hearing this odd noise and thought this is a pretty peppy V6. Then I recalled the new Mustang released a turbo 4 Ecoboost and got excited, we lucked out with a better car than expected. Later popped the hood and verified it only had 1 cylinder bank.

Here's the scoop. After looking into it that is a 2.3L engine, which is not small by 4 cylinder standards. It is rated at 310hp/320lb-ft engine. That is nuts.
    Inside it sounded like a Subaru Boxer engine.
    Outside whisper quiet.
    With the new IRS it stuck to the road.
    6 speed automatic with paddle shifters which were annoying at first to get used to gripping the wheel without accidentally hitting one of them. Once I got used to them, very cool.
    This thing was a finely tune machine. EDIT: OH, AND IT'S STILL A RWD CAR. NO FWD BS.

Interior was nicely laid out, everything ergonomic.
    Heated and cooled leather seats.
    Spacious for a coupe. I'm 6-foot plus and was extremely comfortable with lots of foot room for my size 12s.
    Massive trunk space.
    Minimal blind spots, good visibility. Drivers side a little difficult to see over the shoulder but Ford integrated blind spot mirrors on each side.

With a combination of city driving, highway commuting, and driving it like a rental it took 6.5 gallons to fill it up after using less than half a tank over 130 miles. Approx 20 mpg
    If I drove like that with the G8 I would have gotten less than 15 and it never would have felt as agile even though that's an excellent driver with tight suspension too.
    Thoroughly impressed, Ford!!
    Last edited by DJ_57; 05-10-2017 at 12:47 PM.
    SOLD - thanks for the GRRRR8 times here!
    2008 GT PBM onyx/red CLOTH
    No roof, no premium, no sport
    08/28/2012 - 03/11/2019

Matched 18" GT spare and tool kit | Trunk liner | Tints 35% fronts/5% strip/5% rears | CHMSL flasher | Autodim mirror | WAMS Ataris | Costar Bluestar | red leather shift knob | Cortex | Mobil1 & PF63 | improved stock intake | UPR catch can | PS res relocate | HSRK | 6L80E deep pan/filter/Lokar dipstick | Heater hose mod | Sunroof console | Full GXP mid/AB

2. Likes MongosG8, -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I sold the G8 today, I'd have a HARD look at the Mustang. No flaming here! I'm a car guy, not a badge guy!

They pipe that noise in from the air box, and remember, not that many years ago, the 4.6L V8 was making those numbers!

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

4. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the new mustang.. just not as much as my 89gt.

6. Likes STL_G8GT liked this post
    Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the new Mustang. I sold my 2015 GT in January. It was a badass car. I'm sure some have seen pics here. I'm not brand loyal (obviously) but I get bored and jump around.
    2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
    2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT

8. Likes MongosG8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My cousin with the Boss302 rented a turbo4 Mustang while on a business trip in Florida. He said he got into a freeway race with a V6 Camaro and beat it. Insane. He too was very impressed with the 4.
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.