Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Groaning noise after rear brembo install

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys, here's what I did after I got home:

1) Checked parking brake adjustment. I could spin the wheel and I could also hear the rotor dragging against the parking shoes. Pulled the parking brake handle up inside the car and couldn't turn the wheels at all. So I feel that the tech at Pepboys adjusted the parking brake correctly.
    2) Torqued all four caliper mounting bolts to 88ft lbs. They were not torqued to spec after Pepboys was done adjusting my parking brake.
    3) I had my wife put the car in drive then press and release the brake to simulate coming to a complete stop. I made a video of the driver's side rear. Take a look and listen. That clunking sound is what I believe I'm hearing from inside the car when coming to a complete stop.

Any ideas???

Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)

Post Thanks / Like

Is that whole thing moving because there's no load? Meaning it's not on the ground?

I'd start checking suspension bushings and links ect...

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That's kind of what I was thinking, that It's moving because there's no wheel on the hub. I'm not sure if it's supposed to love like that or not though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gunna say that shouldn't move like that. It seems excessive. Not that it would cause a noise other then a clunking.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Default Groaning noise after rear brembo install

Ok. Poked around underneath and saw that the rear sway bar mounting bracket is broken on the drivers side (same side as in the video). I think that would account for some of the noise and movement. I guess I need to get in touch with BMR and order a new sway bar bracket.

Last edited by terryscott621; 05-01-2017 at 05:22 PM. Reason: added picture
    Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

6. Likes -Ray-, firefighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by terryscott621 View Post
    Ok. Poked around underneath and saw that the rear sway bar mounting bracket is broken on the drivers side (same side as in the video). I think that would account for some of the noise and movement. I guess I need to get in touch with BMR and order a new sway bar bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup... that'd be the issue. Glad you found something. I hate unidentified gremlins.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by terryscott621 View Post

I hope to meet up with you when I get moved to San Antonio. I do have a welder but BMR should make that right.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

9. Likes terryscott621 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got the new rear sway bar bracket installed today. The bracket is actually a GM part and not from BMR. Luck had it that I had an extra one laying around from the last time one of the brackets broke on the passenger's side. Only problem is that I remembered this after buying two new ones (DOH!). Dealership wanted $28/side, but I was able to find them at gmpartsdirect.co (not .com) for $17 each plus $5 shipping so $40 total. Part #92191934 if anyone ever needs one.

Anyways, after I installed the new bracket the noise has completely gone away. YAY!!! My suspicion was that the sway bar was hitting against the spare tire well when coming to a complete stop and causing the noise I was hearing inside. The clearance is really close between these two items (maybe 1/4") The other groaning noises seemed to have disappeared also. While I was under there I backed off my sway bar stiffness to the medium setting, greased my rear sway bar bushings on both sides, and greased my BMR rear trailing arms.

So thanks for the all the help everyone (high fives all around). I really appreciate it. Lots of good suggestions from folks and I'm glad it only turned out to be a stupid broken bracket.
    Last edited by terryscott621; 05-03-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

11. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it sorted Terry. And thanks for the info.
    2009 GT PBM Sport/Premium Packs
    Kook's / Corsa / Roto Fab CAI with HSRK / Polished Camaro's with Nitto Invo's / Camaro Brembo's / GRRRR8 Hose & ARP Bolt kits / VG Fin / GXP diffuser / Black door trim & other goodies from CP / UPR catch can / Livernois / BMR / Russell / Jet-Hot / SunTech tint by Drew / MM / Adams / Klearz / TSS

13. Likes terryscott621 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice... I like it when a story has a happy ending.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

15. Likes terryscott621 liked this post