Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plasti Dip application question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Plasti Dip application question

How many spray cans of Plasti Dip should I buy to temporarily clear coat the front of my daughter's Subarus? Probably only doing the front back to the crest of the wheel arches and across the hood. I am researching Clear Bras and I am not ready to bite off that kind of $ right now (if ever). $900 to protect a $23,000 car? Not me. So for now I want to just coat the front of their CrossTrek and Forester to get them through this dreaded black love bug season.

How glossy or matte is the clear? Anyone ever used the glossifier they sell on top of clear, and what results have you had using it? THANKS!
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

The clear dip won't work well as a clear bra. It's made to go over a colored dip. I would try a dedicated product. I think there's a couple spray on clear bras out there.

3M makes one.
    Last edited by GXPaycheck; 05-02-2017 at 08:10 AM.
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

Post Thanks / Like

They make a clear plasti dip, and a clear glossifier to gloss both clear and other colors. Could you be referring to the glossifier?
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Post Thanks / Like

I dont believe they make a clear in a spray can, just the gallons. You can check at Dipyourcar.com to be sure. The clear bra question has been asked on their forum a few times.

Here's the 3M product:
    http://www.autozone.com/landing/page...der-spray-film
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

Post Thanks / Like

I will check out the 3M product as it surely must be better route. I contacted Plasti Dip to ask if they knew of anyone using their product as a temporary clear bra. They said they get this call all the time and yes, their product can be used to protect the front of a vehicle. However the lady I spoke with said to use a minimum of five coats to aid in peeling it off later. She said that they do have a clear as well as a clear glossifier. To use the glossifier you must use a minimum of one base coat, and the glossifier counts as additional coats, or spray as many base coats as you want and then use the glossifier. Do not use the glossifier alone. As few as one coat of glossifier will work over as few as one base coat, but she said additional coats help the gloss, and the peel. The clear will not be completely clear, and results vary according to humidity. She said that most True Value Hardware stores stock both clear products:

11209-6 clear, matte finish, spray can
    11212-6 clear, glossifier, spray can

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you wax the paint VERY well before you use the 3M! The 3M is only rated for 1 year use I believe.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Plastic dip glossifier is junk. Half matte at best.
    Buy a rool of clear vinyl "wrap" and install it. I think its like $15/yrd on a 50" roll.
    Im about to wrap my car in the 3m wrap. It's more but a better product.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all! Yes, been watching YouTube vids on all of this. I think we are going to do the CrossTrek in clear PlastiDip, the Forester in 3M spray on, and depending on how those go I may try applying the film to the G8. I appreciate your input.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to get to Texas to see what you didn't do to the G8.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

10. Likes STL_G8GT, donkeyGT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that is funny! The electrician is finishing up the wiring of my shop this week. A total of 36 4-foot T5 tubes, 4100K lights in 1600 square feet. Together they put out beams of light through the skylights into the night sky like a Batman summons. 4100K is the key, the correct gradient if you do this. 5000K is too blue, 3000K is too yellow. 4100K is the white light you strive for. Having no previous experience with the T5 bulbs I did not know and did not allow for how much more light the T5 bulbs put out over the T8s. Because of this, suffice it to say that I over-service factored this job by at least a 2, probably closer to a 3. Thank God I can turn half of them off if I want. I can now work after hours, and before dawn during the hot, humid summer months. It is not so bright that I can see down into my cylinder bores through the spark plug holes, but I can see the threads inside the holes without a shop light! Took 61 years to get here. Do not wait as long as I did.

Time is almost at hand to tear into the G8. I'll post up some pics when he is done.
    Last edited by TonyKarter; 05-12-2017 at 05:24 AM.

12. Likes -Ray-, STL_G8GT liked this post