Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Looking for a quiet, less restrictive exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for a quiet, less restrictive exhaust.

Hi, I am trying to maximize my N/A build so I can get a consistent 11 second car in street trim. Stock muffs cost 10+ hp at my power level. I have catted ARH headers and already tried Chevy SS mufflers, but they were WAY too loud. I do not care about loudness at 3k and up, but at idle and cruising speeds it has to be fairly quiet. Something inbetween stock and GXP/SS level loudness would be great. Here is the sound clip of my car with the SS mufflers to give you an idea of what I consider too loud.

I am picking up the magnaflow mid muffler tomorrow that already has ARH connections on it, so I won't have to cut up my existing pipes. Unfortunately, I already sold the SS mufflers months ago, so I can't try out the pipe with them (unless I get another set). I heard about the Cherry Bombs, but I don't like the idea of non stainless steel in a northeast car.

It needs to sound somewhere between:

(I drop kid off at school every day, so I can't be sounding like a dragster like it sounds with the SS Mufflers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tewMDqjtzKM

AND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx_2xMVePHI

As long as it's fairly quiet at idle and low rpm, I don't care if it gets loud at WOT.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the hooker maxflows may be just right for me based on some sound clips.

Is 21602HKR the part number?

Post Thanks / Like

SLP Powerflo's are really, really, deep, actually, kind of quiet, have NO drone, and are stainless. Before you put the elbow on, you can see the light at the other end of the muffler. The tube is angled from one side to the other, but the tube is straight, if that makes sense. And, you get rectangular tips that fit in the diffuser.
    '09 Pacific Slate G8 GT,1900 Magnacharger cog drive. Engine rebuilt by Texas Speed and Performance with some very nice parts. Airaid intake, Kooks 1 7/8" lt's, cats, midpipe, SLP PowerFlow exhaust. Pedders lowered touring package. Baer Pro front brakes. ForgeStar F14 GunMetal 19x8.5 Michelin Pilot Sport a/s. '78 El Camino. 2008 model Blue Heeler.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the maxflows for a bit. If you want deep and quiet, they will be just what you're looking for.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    I had the maxflows for a bit. If you want deep and quiet, they will be just what you're looking for.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    It's exactly what I want, but I don't like that they aren't stainless . Does that really matter? Could I just paint them?

Are the Dynomax versions essentially the same thing, but in stainless?

Post Thanks / Like

I like my Magnaflow Axle Backs, nice polished stainless tips and not too load but a deep tone.
    O9, G8 GT... Premium and Sport Pkgs
    VCM cai, BMR front & rear swaybars, front BMR swaybar end links, Magnaflow Axle Backs 16883, F5 Flashpaq 2845 - 91 Performance Tune, AFM off, and TM 50%. Holden V8/6.0 quarter panel Badge, Pontiac front & rear arrows with Holden lion insert (black & chrome), drilled/slotted rotors.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a set of superflos locally already fabbed up . They are going on with the mid muffler on Monday.

Post Thanks / Like

Got the mid muffler on + the ultraflos. It's quiet! You can tell zero difference over GT mufflers while driving in the car above 1500 rpm. Below 1500 rpm, it does get a bit too bassy though. Like the drone sound but without the actual drone. I'm not a huge fan because it vibrates my seat when I come off a stop light...

I'm on the right track...the mid muffler is definitely the ticket to what I am after. Anyone know of any universal muffler that is less bassy tone and more rasp like stock gxp/chevy ss sound?

Post Thanks / Like

Hooker 304s will be going on. Not much out there on them, but they are supposedly stainless steel version od the maxflows.

Post Thanks / Like

Magnaflow is louder than stock but the sound won't annoy others.