Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: 78/75 turbo build

Post Thanks / Like

What tires are you on? I wouldn't worry to much about the drivetrain on street tires on an unprepped surface, you'll just spin tires. A drag radial on a prepped track is a different story. Nice build. Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Good deal. Guys see 6-650 rwhp with no issues on stock trans and diff. You think you've eclipsed that number?
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
    What tires are you on? I wouldn't worry to much about the drivetrain on street tires on an unprepped surface, you'll just spin tires. A drag radial on a prepped track is a different story. Nice build. Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    Good deal. Guys see 6-650 rwhp with no issues on stock trans and diff. You think you've eclipsed that number?
    Don't tempt me guys, I've convinced myself not to turn up the boost controller much lol. I've heard the driveshaft/axles are weak links over ~500whp, no? My trans tune is dialed in but I still won't be surprised if it eats a clutch pack eventually.

It's got SS takeoffs, so 275 Bridgestone Potenzas on the back. The SS guys love/hate em but I've had no issues so far with them at all. It's not roasting them off but it does get squirrely even in 3rd gear (on ~5psi). And no it's probably making ~500 on 4-5psi, but Im going to turn it up to 8-10psi to get it near 600 and leave it there. Id love to dyno race it and get it over 600 just for the hell of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Just overfill the tranny if you don't have the deep pan and turn it up!
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
    Don't tempt me guys, I've convinced myself not to turn up the boost controller much lol. I've heard the driveshaft/axles are weak links over ~500whp, no? My trans tune is dialed in but I still won't be surprised if it eats a clutch pack eventually.

It's got SS takeoffs, so 275 Bridgestone Potenzas on the back. The SS guys love/hate em but I've had no issues so far with them at all. It's not roasting them off but it does get squirrely even in 3rd gear (on ~5psi). And no it's probably making ~500 on 4-5psi, but Im going to turn it up to 8-10psi to get it near 600 and leave it there. Id love to dyno race it and get it over 600 just for the hell of it.
    I hit 9 psi on my turbo setup. Forged motor, but trans was still stock other than Rick's tune.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by norm8332 View Post
    Just overfill the tranny if you don't have the deep pan and turn it up!
    This. And get a dedicated trans cooler. But by far the most important thing is a proper trans tune by someone who knows what their doing. Even a fully built trans will be smoked by a poor trans tune.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
    This. And get a dedicated trans cooler. But by far the most important thing is a proper trans tune by someone who knows what their doing. Even a fully built trans will be smoked by a poor trans tune.
    The first mod I did to the car when I bought it was a cooler and camaro pan. I've done my homework with the 6 speed tuning. It's using the same shift strategy as the newer 6 speeds like the CTSV (no more base shift speed and inertia adder bullshit), among plenty of other tweaks. Its got 107k on it now, and the last 10k were at ~430whp cammed, so Im confident in my tooning ability. It's still shifting hard at 5psi with no flaring, and shift times reliably around ~.200 with no issues.

I bought it with 95k miles, and the trans tune that was in it was done by your typical tooner. .150 shift times and TM was completely disabled. That was literally it. That is what scares me about the longevity of the trans.

At any rate, that's 4/4 people saying not to worry about it so I feel a bit more confident pushing it to 10psi

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update again. I have it dialed in on 8 pounds and it's scary fast on street tires. On a shitty road, the tires are really starting to get squirelly all the way up to ~100mph. Injectors are only at 80% DC, AFR is rock solid as commanded (walbro 450 still keeping up like a champ). I think it's going to stay at this boost level, and Ill eventually get some good tires, axles, and a driveshaft to bump it up around 10-12 pounds.

The 2nd gear boost was kind of disappointing on this log, going from a ~15mph roll. I need to play with the timing and see if I can get it to light a bit quicker. Only a touch of KR at the end from the higher IATs, already took out a couple degrees in the IAT table in that area. From what Ive seen other turbo setups run for overall timing though, this really doesn't want much before I start getting quick little 1-2 degree blips of KR. Apparently the E54 fuel out here is just E85 watered down with cat piss.

Also, for anyone else with a turbo setup, is anyone getting boost spikes like this on their upshifts? I had -5 degrees of min TM timing (thought the massive timing retard was acting as a rolling 2 step), bumped that up to +5 degrees (minimum) and it still spikes. Is this just the nature of the beast when running a turbo on these motors with an auto?

Post Thanks / Like

Need just a little cooler intake temp. That thing is a beast.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    Need just a little cooler intake temp. That thing is a beast.
    Thanks man. I agree, Im getting 50 degree delta temps over a 130mph run. A 4" intercooler is definitely my next project to tackle.

Went for a Sunday drive tonight and played around with RaceRender. The MAP is in PSI, so anything over ~14 is in boost. You can tell the ass end is skirting around most of the vid, I desperately need some good tires.