Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 78/75 turbo build

Post Thanks / Like

You're a lot more calm than I would be.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    You're a lot more calm than I would be.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    Lol Ive calmed down a lot since I originally got the rad, I was pretty fired up after the first few issues. If they tell me to pound sand, I won't be thrilled at all this week.

And like I said, it's going to be sitting anyways, I have no interest in working on it or driving it when its 110+ degrees (my shop is way too big to run an AC unit in it). As long as they replace/refund my order I will be content.

Post Thanks / Like

Pulling the cold case radiator tonight and sending it back, ordered a new ACDelco from amazon that should be here Wednesday. If this one cracks, I will be buying a TIG welder and build my own fully aluminum rad next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
    Pulling the cold case radiator tonight and sending it back, ordered a new ACDelco from amazon that should be here Wednesday. If this one cracks, I will be buying a TIG welder and build my own fully aluminum rad next time.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

New rad is in, the CC rad is shipping out tomorrow. This is my first summer in AZ, and holy fawk is it brutal, but I finally have this build almost "done".

Went ahead and bypassed the radiator trans cooler this time since Im in AZ. I wanted to run a full, new line from the OEM line to the cooler, but that would've meant pulling the bumper again in 110+ degree weather which I had no motivation of doing. So I just spliced in a hose barb coupler with some hose clamps. I was going to pick one up from Home Depot, but it would've literally taken me longer to drive round trip, that to just whip one from some scrap.

Also finished up an engine cover. I started one to cover up the CC radiator bruise, and finished it out just to clean things up a bit with the OEM rad. I hate sheet metal work, but enjoy breaking out the bead roller once in a while. Going to make a similar panel on the hood above the turbo, to deflect as much heat away from the hood as possible.

Forecast is much cooler this week, with highs around 105 and lows in the mid 70s. Plan is to check boost levels and dial in a few things with the tune, but other than that it's 99% done as long as everything goes smoothly with the tune next weekend, and I can get it around 5 pounds of boost or less. Maybe..
    Last edited by gatorayde; 06-25-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work. My oldest son in Waco, has a bead roller. I'll see if I can challenge him to make me a rad cover.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Post Thanks / Like

New rad is in, the CC rad is shipping out tomorrow. This is my first summer in AZ, and holy fawk is it brutal, but I finally have this build almost "done".

Went ahead and bypassed the radiator trans cooler this time since Im in AZ. I wanted to run a full, new line from the OEM line to the cooler, but that would've meant pulling the bumper again in 110+ degree weather which I had no motivation of doing. So I just spliced in a hose barb coupler with some hose clamps. I was going to pick one up from Home Depot, but it would've literally taken me longer to drive round trip, that to just whip one from some scrap.

Also finished up an engine cover. I started one to cover up the CC radiator bruise, and finished it out just to clean things up a bit with the OEM rad. I hate sheet metal work, but enjoy breaking out the bead roller once in a while. Going to make a similar panel on the hood above the turbo, to deflect as much heat away from the hood as possible.

Forecast is much cooler this week, with highs around 105 and lows in the mid 70s. Plan is to check boost levels and dial in a few things with the tune, but other than that it's 99% done as long as everything goes smoothly with the tune next weekend, and I can get it around 5 pounds of boost or less. Maybe..
    I have the roto cover and leave it off most of the time because of heat. I'd be interested to know if my hunch is right or just misguided... wouldn't having that cover on there hold more heat in? I realize the fans are blowing a LOT of air around under there, any opinions?
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    Nice work. My oldest son in Waco, has a bead roller. I'll see if I can challenge him to make me a rad cover.
    Thanks Ray. Bead rolling is fascinating stuff, some people are absolute artists. Have you seen the work of Jamey Jordan?

Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    I have the roto cover and leave it off most of the time because of heat. I'd be interested to know if my hunch is right or just misguided... wouldn't having that cover on there hold more heat in? I realize the fans are blowing a LOT of air around under there, any opinions?
    Are you talking about the rad cover or the turbo/hood cover? Im going to try the turbo heat shield just to get some heat off of the hood, it's so close to the hood I think it's getting some radiant heat soak. It's worth a shot for just fabbing a little piece of aluminum, even if it only drops temps a few degrees. The engine bay is freaking hot regardless, from all the hot side plumbing obviously.

I don't see why the rad cover would hold heat in. Like you said, with the fans on Im sure the high/low pressure zones in the engine bay are just way too chaotic to even try and influence where the heat goes, other than under the car. Total armchair fluid dynamics/engineering here though, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't followed anyone working with sheet metal. One of the reasons are that it is a group not prone to buying expensive metrology tools. ;-)
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Post Thanks / Like

New rad is in, the CC rad is shipping out tomorrow. This is my first summer in AZ, and holy fawk is it brutal,:
    Right on! I am good to 105

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back