Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 115

Thread: 78/75 turbo build

  1. #91
    Moderator travis gore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Posts
    9,562
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post

    That's awesome Travis, definitely keep me posted on that cnc program if you end up taking it. Feel free to shoot me any questions about the industry btw.

    The school did not work out. Since I just moved here,I am still considered "out of state"
    In state is $68 per credit hour
    Out of state is $327 per credit hour
    Even though I have a lease,registered to vote,have a Az drivers license,registered 1 car with AZ ( the G8 needs cats) moved my banking. Just BS!
    I will just wait until next year.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

  2. #92
    Member gatorayde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by travis gore View Post
    The school did not work out. Since I just moved here,I am still considered "out of state"
    In state is $68 per credit hour
    Out of state is $327 per credit hour
    Even though I have a lease,registered to vote,have a Az drivers license,registered 1 car with AZ ( the G8 needs cats) moved my banking. Just BS!
    I will just wait until next year.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Fuck, that blows man. My sister ran into a similar issue IIRC when she moved out of state. College is so scammy these days, but that's a whole 'nother rant for a different time lol.

    Im with you on the temps BTW. Once it hits 105+ Im done and hide in the AC. I was tuning yesterday when it was ~112 with no AC in the car, and my back was on fire with black leather seats.



    Finally got some time to cruise around. It's hot as fuck here obviously, and my wideband is wired through the AC sensor since I was a cheapass and bought the standard HPT package. I need to wire a toggle switch between the physical sensor and the wideband output.

    The gate works great now, almost too good. I see a consistent 3psi of boost without touching the manual controller, and can here the gate cracking open just over positive boost pressure. Now that the turbo isn't spooling at full speed and leaking everything out, IAT's are incredible reasonable. At 3 psi it's only seeing a 15 degree rise over ambient for a 10-80mph pull.

    In other news the trans cooler by itself isn't enough, Im seeing 60 degrees over ambient on the highway. Any stop and go, or adding a stall is going to be way too much for it. A bigger cooler is definitely on the priority list now. I don't regret bypassing the radiator though, Ill put a big cooler under the car with an aux fan and free up some space for more fresh air over the intercooler.

    And Im still waiting on cold case to refund my money. Giving it a week and one more call before I just file a charge back. They've had the radiator since late last week.

    Edit: Also, I know this is a small forum and not many DIY tuners here, but has anyone run a tablet for HPT logging? I hate having to rubber-neck my laptop in the passenger seat, Im really interested in a windows tablet to mount on the dash to keep an eye on all the vitals.
    Last edited by gatorayde; 07-11-2017 at 11:05 AM.

  3. #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    S. Florida
    Posts
    217
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
    Fuck, that blows man. My sister ran into a similar issue IIRC when she moved out of state. College is so scammy these days, but that's a whole 'nother rant for a different time lol.

    Im with you on the temps BTW. Once it hits 105+ Im done and hide in the AC. I was tuning yesterday when it was ~112 with no AC in the car, and my back was on fire with black leather seats.



    Finally got some time to cruise around. It's hot as fuck here obviously, and my wideband is wired through the AC sensor since I was a cheapass and bought the standard HPT package. I need to wire a toggle switch between the physical sensor and the wideband output.

    The gate works great now, almost too good. I see a consistent 3psi of boost without touching the manual controller, and can here the gate cracking open just over positive boost pressure. Now that the turbo isn't spooling at full speed and leaking everything out, IAT's are incredible reasonable. At 3 psi it's only seeing a 15 degree rise over ambient for a 10-80mph pull.

    In other news the trans cooler by itself isn't enough, Im seeing 60 degrees over ambient on the highway. Any stop and go, or adding a stall is going to be way too much for it. A bigger cooler is definitely on the priority list now. I don't regret bypassing the radiator though, Ill put a big cooler under the car with an aux fan and free up some space for more fresh air over the intercooler.

    And Im still waiting on cold case to refund my money. Giving it a week and one more call before I just file a charge back. They've had the radiator since late last week.

    Edit: Also, I know this is a small forum and not many DIY tuners here, but has anyone run a tablet for HPT logging? I hate having to rubber-neck my laptop in the passenger seat, Im really interested in a windows tablet to mount on the dash to keep an eye on all the vitals.
    I use my Surface pro 3 for Data logging with HPT. Works great. Getting a surface book tomorrow so the SP3 will be in the car 24/7 now. Not sure how many other tablets have USB port

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

  4. #94
    Addicted Member mooredata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    522
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Surface Pros rock! Also nice build, lots of great information here.

  5. #95
    Moderator travis gore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Posts
    9,562
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
    Fuck, that blows man. My sister ran into a similar issue IIRC when she moved out of state. College is so scammy these days, but that's a whole 'nother rant for a different time lol.
    .
    I am still a little bummed about it ,but every thing happens for a reason.
    Good to hear you are cruising around now. Sounds like you are getting it worked out.
    Have you been to 5 & Diner breakfast cruise in?



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

  6. #96
    Member gatorayde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G8eraid View Post
    I use my Surface pro 3 for Data logging with HPT. Works great. Getting a surface book tomorrow so the SP3 will be in the car 24/7 now. Not sure how many other tablets have USB port

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by mooredata View Post
    Surface Pros rock! Also nice build, lots of great information here.
    Thanks guys, I can't justify a Surface Pro but I ordered a cheaper 8" windows 10 tablet this week. I thought about using a cheap android tablet and just mirroring my laptop screen via remote desktop, but for a few bucks more Id rather have a full tablet that can run the scanner/editor. Im curious to see how painful editing is without a keyboard/touchpad, I might end up buying a small bluetooth setup for editing tunes in-car.

    Quote Originally Posted by travis gore View Post
    I am still a little bummed about it ,but every thing happens for a reason.
    Good to hear you are cruising around now. Sounds like you are getting it worked out.
    Have you been to 5 & Diner breakfast cruise in?



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nope, is that a frequent event around here? I still have to check out the Pavilions as well. I need to get a window re tinted (It has a tear in it) before I "show" this thing at any events around here. Im tempted to just re-tint the whole damn thing to 5% actually. My truck is 5% all around and I love it during the day.

  7. #97
    Moderator travis gore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Posts
    9,562
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It is a regular meet on Saturday morning. I have never been yet. Looks like it is 53 minutes from my place. The Pavilions is pretty nice. I went last weekend. There were a lot of people there for being 110 outside.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

  8. #98
    Member gatorayde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by travis gore View Post
    It is a regular meet on Saturday morning. I have never been yet. Looks like it is 53 minutes from my place. The Pavilions is pretty nice. I went last weekend. There were a lot of people there for being 110 outside.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Huh, Ill have to check that out sometime, and its literally only 15 mins away. How's the pavillion scene? From what I hear its a mix of old cars, newer cars, and of course the rice burning scene (they love their Honda's down here in AZ).


    So I've been eyeballing a set of BTR dual springs before I really turn up the boost on this thing. I put a set of PAC 1219's in when I did the cam swap, the cam specs are: 112+6 .613/.573 225/230, the lobes (Comp cam) are LSL (intake) and LS1 extreme RPM (exhaust). I got it dirt cheap barely-used as a custom grind, but it makes great power. But the boost on top of a marginal spring for a large/mildly agressive cam, with very little PTV clearance has me worried. I fired off an email to Tooley, but Im almost sure Im going to end up ordering some of his dual .660 springs for peace of mind at 7+ PSI.

  9. #99
    Moderator travis gore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Posts
    9,562
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gatorayde View Post
    . How's the pavillion scene? From what I hear its a mix of old cars, newer cars, and of course the rice burning scene (they love their Honda's down here in AZ).

    .
    i only went once so far,but that sums it up and a few exotics. I was the only G8
    2009 Karma Metallic G8 GT The best gift you can give to someone is your time,because you're giving them something that you can never get back

  10. #100
    Member gatorayde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quick update, I haven't had any issues with the turbo setup at all so far. Now that I say that, something will fail tomorrow. I bought a windows tablet for gauges, put some Lunati dual springs in it, and have been driving the piss out of it on 4-5psi. The turbo loves this motor, if you lean into it, it'l spool just after 2k and makes 4-5 pounds easy by 3k and only half throttle. It might as well be an LSA, if you want torque/boost just lean into it and you get it.

    Highest injector duty cycle Ive seen is just over 50%, I have no doubt they would do 650-700whp but the single 450 pump is my fuel limit. IAT's aren't even a concern at this low boost level, maybe a 15 degree rise for a 0-100 run. The filter is down behind the foglight, and I've had 0 issues with heat soak. It will idle for 10+ minutes with ambient IATs.

    My only complaint so far is the underhood heat, but other than that this build has met all my expectations. Im tempted to lean on the boost controller but I know the trans and diff are on borrowed time. I also really need to route the wastegate into the exhaust, but other than that this stage of the build is done. The next phase will be a stronger drivetrain, forged rotating assembly, a second walbro 450, and more boost.

    Half throttle, 4.5psi pull from tonight. (open in a new tab if you want to see the data)


    HPT gauges setup on a windshield mount. It's just for tuning and checking things, but I really don't mind having it there, it's not nearly as bad as it looks for blocking your view.
    Last edited by gatorayde; 08-16-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •