Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really Good Stock Size Brake Pad and Rotor Combo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Really Good Stock Size Brake Pad and Rotor Combo

Had to do a 1XX mph brake test in the new to me ride this weekend and was not at all happy with how much fade there was with whatever is on there now. I used to run Duralast Gold on the last G8 and they served their intended purpose well enough at the time, but I'd like a little better. I plan on doing a full upgrade in the near future so I don't want to go crazy with the best stock size rotors and pads, but I also don't want to almost ass-pack a 300lb+ fucker on a Harley who pulls out in front of me on a back road again. Are there any suggestions for a rotor/pad combo that gets the job done lets say 25% or so better than stock?
    09 Stryker Blue GT Premium/Sport
    08 Panther Black GT - SOLD

2. Thanks jonnynadeau thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went with DBA XS's, AC Delco Pro ceramic pads, and Russel SS brake lines, which make a huge difference. Couldn't be happier.
    '09 WH G8 GT
    Premium/Sport
    Red/Onyx
    Rotofab CAI
    Cortex 93 tune
    20% tint

I just wanted one.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 dBA, ceramics, Russell lines = huge improvement. I have older style 4000xs slotted, Hawk HP ceramics.
    09 White Hot G8 GT
    Tuned by Rick Crawford
    Kooks, Circle-D, Vararam, HSRK, BP catch can, RP oil
    DBA 4000, Hawk Ceramic, Russel Stanless, Ate Super Blue,
    FE3, Whiteline, BMR, UMI, Spohn

Homelink, Adams Premium, Infinity Reference

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVED the DBA slotted and Hawk HPS pads on my GT. That thing stopped SO MUCH better than stock. The fade was gone and they just BIT!

That being said, DBA has their own line of pads now.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought and installed this last year. ABSOLUTE CRAP. the stock parts were much better. I'm looking at the whole 4piston CTS-v kit now.

Optional Russell Stainless Brake Lines No Thanks!
    Standard Series T2 Slotted Rotors
    Hawk Brake Pads Hawk Performance Ceramic
    MGM '09 G8 GT, RCR tuned, RCR cam (223/231 .625/.622 111+0 ), PRC 250CC heads 65cc chambers, RCR "ram air" intake, & ported TB; Spectre 102mm MAF/LS7 card, HSRK, DT headers, Vararam with RCR type air wedge, Solo Mach CB, 3.45 gears & Yank 3200SS stall

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys. Where are you going for these parts now? I was out for a couple years and a lot has changed in the aftermarket for these cars in that period.

Post Thanks / Like

Maryland Speed is a good place!

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    Maryland Speed is a good place!
    That's what I'm finding too, Thanks Chewy!

Post Thanks / Like

I've bought from Amazon, rock auto, and Maryland Speed. Just looked for the best prices that day.
    '09 WH G8 GT
    Premium/Sport
    Red/Onyx
    Rotofab CAI
    Cortex 93 tune
    20% tint

I just wanted one.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same boat as you for brakes. Staying with stock rotors and calibers but want better braking than the ho-hum (crap) stock pads.

I have Carbotech 1521s on my next-to-do list. Based on feedback in the G8 forums, the bite is so much better that you have to change your braking style. Also said to be low dust. A little pricy ($350 for pads only) but the final piece for tuning my G8 to the way I want it.

Its a street pad and was advised not to consider using them on any road course.