Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a New Radiator

Post Thanks / Like

Time for G8only to get involved here and clear this up. Be nice to have the peace of mind that there is a quality all aluminum replacement out there that does fit like it should.
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFrank View Post
    Update: I finally got around to installing this Cold Case radiator today (been driving my Jeep over the summer). I'm disappointed to report that they have not fixed the fitment issue with the lower (outlet) elbow. Mine hits the subframe just like a lot of other people have reported. I don't like the prospect of having to notch the subframe, so I'll probably be shimming the radiator up higher to provide clearance. It needs to come up at least 1/2", which should work for my car with a Vararam intake, but I'm sure if I ever switch to a different intake and go back to using the stock upper radiator mounts that I'll need to come up with a different solution. Gatorayde, I saw your post where you heated up the elbow and bent it to fit. I may have to do that eventually. Mine also doesn't fit the fan housing securely at all, just like yours. I guess I'll either shim it up or figure out how to zip-tie the top mounts.

With some people reporting that these radiators fit just fine and others having the same issues with the outlet fitting, I wonder if it's a quality-control issue. It's a really good-looking product, and whoever put this thing together clearly knows how to weld aluminum. Are they maybe not measuring to see if the elbow fitting has warped during assembly? Aluminum has a very high thermal expansion ratio, so it'll move all over the place when welding if you're not careful.
    Why not just go with an oem replacement?
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

An OEM (ACDelco) radiator is actually more expensive than the Cold Case radiator, and it still has plastic end tanks. I'm a decent enough fabricator that I'm comfortable I can make it work, but if I wasn't, I would already be on the phone with G8Only about sending this back for a refund.
    Trogdor, the Burninator - 2008 G8 GT. 376/480 LS3 crate, Vararam intake, Kooks headers, Unidentified full exhaust, and a particularly realistic "flame job."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFrank View Post
    An OEM (ACDelco) radiator is actually more expensive than the Cold Case radiator, and it still has plastic end tanks. I'm a decent enough fabricator that I'm comfortable I can make it work, but if I wasn't, I would already be on the phone with G8Only about sending this back for a refund.
    Man I hear ya... but if a stock one lasts 8 years now with the plastic end tanks, I would think it'd be worth it every 8 years to deal with. I get that you can make it work, but for anyone else, how much is your time worth to make it fit? Less than the difference between this hunk and oem, I would guess.

To be super clear, good on ya for making it fit, but the fitment issues with these things are incredible being that it's only made to fit a car that was made for two model years without any critical revisions to this assembly, ya know?
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

It is strange that they haven't gotten this worked out yet. I have to wonder if they're using any kind of jig to keep the parts straight when welding. Surely they've test fit these units in a G8 before!
    Trogdor, the Burninator - 2008 G8 GT. 376/480 LS3 crate, Vararam intake, Kooks headers, Unidentified full exhaust, and a particularly realistic "flame job."

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is concerned about price, here's a new one for $98 http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/p...,radiator,2172
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Well if you are good at keeping your receipts a lifetime warranty on the AC Delco's: