Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear brake noise

Post Thanks / Like

Yes still have the dust shield and didn't see and signs of rubbing when I cleaned it. Parking brake was off and the inside of rotor was clear debris.
    2009 G8 GT
    1985 Buick Grand National w/87 drivetrain

Post Thanks / Like

I think I found the source of one of my squeaks when changing back to summer tires. The RR squeaked a bit when just moving it a few degrees clockwise/counterclockwise, and yes, they are Powerstop rotors and pads, although plain rotors. I changed them a few months ago before winter set in. I suspect the clips, which I did change out, but I'll need to look into it a bit more when I get the chance. The left side was quiet.

Post Thanks / Like

So just to update the thread I'm still hearing the noise. It's been well over a hundred miles on the new rotors and pads. I took them apart last night and cleaned everything again. I saw no signs of rubbing on the clips or dust shield. Onlt thing I saw that was out of the ordinary was a small chip in the rotor. I've attached a pic because I'm not sure that this is causing the noise. I'm going to have the rotor resurfaced and if it's still hapeneing after that maybe replacing it is my only option.IMG_3063.JPG
    2009 G8 GT

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

More often than not with a slotted or drilled (or both) you will have some audible noise.

It may sound like a "whirring" or light noise.

I've heard it 100 times on cars with aftermarket rotors that are not plain surface.
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

These are plain surface rotors. I've done many brake jobs over the years. Both of my brother in laws cars have slotted and drilled rotors that I installed and never heard a squeak. This was the first rotor that wouldn't stop making noise after the brake in process. Took it to get resurfaced and the noise stopped. Guy at the place said that the rotor was warped. How do I get one warped rotor? Is that just the luck of the draw a factory defect or does it happen during shipping?
    2009 G8 GT

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turbojitsu View Post
    Took it to get resurfaced and the noise stopped. Guy at the place said that the rotor was warped. How do I get one warped rotor? Is that just the luck of the draw a factory defect or does it happen during shipping?
    Luck of the draw. You're lucky the others didn't warp (lol). Seems the material they have been using for rotors is crap. In 2009 after 1500 easy break-in miles on my GT, I got on the brakes and all 4 rotors instantly warped. The dealer turned them and they have been smooth since.

I have bought after market rotors for other vehicles and haven't had the warping problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been running DBA drilled and slotted rotors for years on the rear of my G8 with no noise at all. I do like to deburr all the pad ears though.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

few things manufacturing defects sure.

misapplied wheel torque - I doubt you did this but many places still run wheels back on with a impact wrench and often don't pay attention. so 2 of the 5 lugs are run down to 500 ft lbs - the other 3 at say 120 or so and you drive it for a week. - bam gentle warp of the rotor hat and thus ring.

which brand did you buy?
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

These were just basic power stop rotors and pads and your right I didn't use an impact gun to take off or put on the wheel. I don't think it happened during the brake in process as it always made the noise.
    2009 G8 GT

Post Thanks / Like

hmm. bad parts do come out occasionally. very few things are 100% perfect.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes