Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Solo high flow cats & Magnaflow cat-back exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Solo high flow cats & Magnaflow cat-back exhaust.

Hi All,

I'm in the UK and have a Vauxhall VXR8 with a Magnaflow #16795 cat-back exhaust fitted. I'd really like to fit Solo high flow cats but am unsure if they would mate up to the Magnaflow. Has anyone done this and was the fit good? I have emailed Steve at Solo and he thinks they will fit but looking at the stock cat and Solo cat side by side, it looks almost as if the cat to exhaust flange is opposite to standard.
    ie stock cat goes from wide to small and this appears reversed on the Solo cats. It may be that the photos are not to scale and there'll be no issue but it's an expensive way to find out especially with the added taxes and import duty here in England.
    Any comments gratefully accepted.

Cheers in advance Guys

Maz IMG_0053 tiny2.jpg
    Last edited by MazVXR; 03-12-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully one of our exhaust guru guys will step up...I just wanted to compliment you on your VXR8!
    2009 GT PBM Sport/Premium Packs
    Kook's / Corsa / Roto Fab CAI with HSRK / Polished Camaro's with Nitto Invo's / Camaro Brembo's / GRRRR8 Hose & ARP Bolt kits / VG Fin / GXP diffuser / Black door trim & other goodies from CP / UPR catch can / Livernois / BMR / Russell / Jet-Hot / SunTech tint by Drew / MM / Adams / Klearz / TSS

3. Thanks MazVXR thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply donkeyGT - I had an unexpected bonus from a previous employment and have bitten the bullet. My Solo HF cats are now in transit and i can't wait to get them on the car. With regards to my original post, there seemed to be some difference between images on Solo website and (for example) their Amazon posts. The flanges looked reversed in the images I viewed but look fine for the G8 on Amazon.
    Steve at Solo has been really super heplful & I'm hoping all will line up and give me a vehicle to be (even more) proud of. If they are as good as the initial testers say, my stereo will be redundent as I live near a great tunnel lol...

Safe Driving

Maz

5. Likes donkeyGT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

MazVXR, I had a Solo Hi-flow cats to Magnaflow axle-back setup and it was quite good but wanted just a bit more bark/oompf and ended up switching to Solo axle-backs and it sounds perfect! Not obnoxiously loud by any means but definitely more aggressive and deeper.
    2009 SRM GT: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, rear window roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".

Post Thanks / Like

I already have Magnaflow axle-backs and planing to order Solo Hi-Flow cats, will I get a little louder and a few more HP?
    O9, G8 GT... Premium and Sport Pkgs
    VCM cai, BMR front & rear swaybars, front BMR swaybar end links, Magnaflow Axle Backs 16883, F5 Flashpaq 2845 - 91 Performance Tune, AFM off, and TM 50%. Holden V8/6.0 quarter panel Badge, Pontiac front & rear arrows with Holden lion insert (black & chrome), drilled/slotted rotors.

Post Thanks / Like

Solo claims that the Hi-flows give you about an added 15 hp and I believe it from experience. Like I said in a previous post in this thread, I had the hi-flows first with stock mufflers and the sound was good, tried a Magnaflow axle-back and the sound was better, but then went to a Solo axle-back and the sound is incredible/perfect, way more aggressive but not obnoxious and that sweet burble on deceleration!
    2009 SRM GT: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, rear window roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".

Post Thanks / Like

cincy09gt... Looks like you have an X-pipe, I only have Magnaflow axle-back, all the rest of the exhaust is stock right now, until I add the Solo HFC's. Do you think me not having the X-pipe will make much difference?
    Last edited by Dave GT; 04-20-2017 at 12:55 PM.
    O9, G8 GT... Premium and Sport Pkgs
    VCM cai, BMR front & rear swaybars, front BMR swaybar end links, Magnaflow Axle Backs 16883, F5 Flashpaq 2845 - 91 Performance Tune, AFM off, and TM 50%. Holden V8/6.0 quarter panel Badge, Pontiac front & rear arrows with Holden lion insert (black & chrome), drilled/slotted rotors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave GT View Post
    cincy09gt... Looks like you have an X-pipe, I only have Magnaflow axle-back, all the rest of the exhaust is stock right now, until I add the Solo HFC's. Do you think me not having the X-pipe will make much difference?
    I'm no exhaust expert, I don't think it will make a big difference, but in my case it did seem to deepen the sound a little more without the mid-muffler in there. My car is not obnoxiously loud with my set-up but sounds great on start up and under acceleration and has that awesome burble on decel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyGT View Post
    Hopefully one of our exhaust guru guys will step up...I just wanted to compliment you on your VXR8!
    Well guys, here's an interesting fact (that I found out way too late - lol) - the cast exhaust manifold is WAY different in the UK compared with the USA variant. Quite surprised by this really but maybe it's due to different emission standards.

As you can see by the photos below, our OEM cast manifold is far longer and also has spaces for the O2 sensors rather than them being in the cats.
    Therefore the Solo cats won't fit my vehicle without swapping exhaust manifolds too. I've been looking at a set of Doug Thorley Shorty Headers and this looks like the way forward to get everything back in line...

VXR8 - G8.jpg

Sorry for such a delayed response to all your comments, I had the dreaded oil pump relief valve issue and have just had a new GM Crate LS3 installed after a rather long wait.
    Last edited by MazVXR; 06-09-2017 at 06:13 AM. Reason: additional comment

Post Thanks / Like

I actually went with Kooks Mid length Headers and their Green Cats. Direct bolt up to factory exhaust or in my case a Solo cat back system. maybe worth a check into
    08 GT MGM Onyx/Red Premium
    Winter 225/55/17
    Summer 245/40/19
    Kook Mids, Green Cats and Solo Mach Unbalanced
    RotoFab
    Maverick Man CF Spoiler
    Tuned by East Coast Superchargers