Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popping in front.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Popping in front.

I'm getting a popping sound from the front left. Lets say i pull into my drive way where there is a bump transition from the street to the driveway. It does it pulling into the driveway but not back out. I already check the LCAs. I jacked up the tire and tried moving it left to right and there is no play. I have replaced the front end links and replaced the strut mounts/bearing. Im pretty sure my struts are bad so i dont if thats the popping sound. thoughts?

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would check the fronts pulling at the top and bottom too (not likely, just to be complete), also put a wrench on the sway bar brackets to make sure they are tight. Steering rack tie rods are another suspect but no play when pulling left to right on the wheel covers the tie rods (I believe).

Since your sway bar end links and strut bushings are new, I suspect the struts. You should have replaced the struts when you had them out to replace the bushings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WhatNext View Post
    I would check the fronts pulling at the top and bottom too (not likely, just to be complete), also put a wrench on the sway bar brackets to make sure they are tight. Steering rack tie rods are another suspect but no play when pulling left to right on the wheel covers the tie rods (I believe).

Since your sway bar end links and strut bushings are new, I suspect the struts. You should have replaced the struts when you had them out to replace the bushings.
    well i wish he woulda told me the struts were bad then he coulda put it back together so i could order the ppv ones. if not he woulda put some crap on there.

Post Thanks / Like

well if they didn't leak they might not be bad.

I know the first time mine made that type of noise it was the sway bar end links. The nuts might be loose. IE they might need retightening - especially if he didn't have the weight on the car when he tightened them.

common issue.

Finally same with the top nut on the strut - if the weight wasn't fully on the wheels when it was tightened up - it might not be fully seated. something to test.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar issue, when backing the car in the left front would pop. I did all the shack down test, found the issue by backing the car in and when it popped stop had a friend moved the steering wheel around while I stuck my head under the car to watch the suspension. Found the LCA was moving, tightened it up and I've had no issues since.

Post Thanks / Like

well i have replaced both front struts, have the whiteline bushings, new end links and i still have a certain pop on hitting bumps. the front end is better than it use to be but it there is still something there. like pulling into the driveway, there is a transition between the road and driveway where it makes the noise. I pull in diagonal where the passengers side tire hits first and there is no pop. When the drivers side does there is the pop. I even have jacked up the front and moved the tire left to right looking for play as those videos show and there is no play movement. i do have the 120k miles LCA coverage

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Up and down.... Do it up and down. Side to side points to tie rods. Last time one of mine went bad, I couldn't really tell with the wheel on. I took the wheel off and wiggled things then. I could look at the back and see the LCA ball joint move in a way it shouldn't quite do.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

It's your LCA where it mounts to subframe/cradle
    Last edited by Cooper; 05-04-2017 at 08:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

lca.jpg

which one?

Post Thanks / Like

lca.jpg

The Lower and upper control arms look original-recommend replacing, can cause this issue.

also your sway bar end link looks dry, I would replace that also.
    Last edited by Cooper; 05-05-2017 at 04:54 AM.