Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New key will not program

Post Thanks / Like

i was wondering about the long relearn, was thinking maybe i had the max number of keys programmed to it (4 according to the owners manual), but was scared of screwing my one good key. might have to try it and if it works just buy another blank since i will have a spare chip. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The new chips are useless without reprogramming them.

If you take out the original transponder chip from your original fob and relocate inside the new flip fob ..This will fix the issue if you have not done that.

The chip is a pain in the ass to take out of the original because the factory sometimes glues them in. Just take your time taking it out and installing it in the new fob. Some people used a dremel tool to carefully get the original chip out.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

i purchased a complete new key with new transponder chip because i only have the 1 original straight key so i dont want to pull the chip from my only good key. I want to program the new chip with my new key and fob. I was told these chips often are just bad units and wont program hence the reason i purchased another chip to try and program it.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand..didnt realize you only had the straight spare key and not the original fob.

My understanding with these new chips most owners are having issues with them. I know of two that had to go to the dealer and have them do it.

Im in the process of ordering a new fob and converting my old chip and my old key ..I will use the new casing, spring load tension-er and buttons etc.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

ya i talked to a guy at GTOG8TA yesterday and he said they are hit or miss, if you get a bad one from them they will swap it out with another to try.. swapping out from flip fob isnt too bad, especially if you have a whole new shell and dont have to worry about ruining the old one... had to do it with my first G8s key

6. Likes MongosG8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an update, the new chip programmed fine...

8. Likes -Ray-, MongosG8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

got my id46 chip in the mail the other day. i hot glued it in the slot inside and it programmed fine too.