Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to do PPV struts. Spring opinions needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting ready to do PPV struts. Spring opinions needed.

I'm getting ready to do the PPV struts on the wife's G8 GT and I'm debating if I want to do Springs or not. The front end is pretty tight gap wise I assume the mounts are collapsed. Looking to do either Whiteline or the Pros from BMR. This will most likely raise the front end.

I'm thinking the Eibach Springs because of the minimal drop I've read roughly 1". I don't want to make the ride too rough but firm "euro" style handling is desired.

Also as an option (outside chance it works) I have my old Camaro SS Springs off of my '13 1LE. Does anyone have insight if that is feasible?

Any advice that can be had is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

No need to assume if your strut mounts are collapsed, probably are, but just look at the gap between the top of the strut tower and the round disk.

I have PPVs on stock springs. Everything else is stock except for poly strut mounts. Wish you had the chance to ride/drive a G8 with this combo before deciding. I am totally satisfied with the ride/handling of this combo. I did not even consider changing to lowering springs (which are stiffer than stock) because of the road conditions here in the NE. Even with 18 inch tires (Pilot Sport AS3s), I feel the ride is right on the borderline for comfort.

3. Likes firefighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. How are the tire to wheel well gaps? Are you running stock diameter Tire? If you have any pics I'd really appreciate it.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My G8 only has 35k miles so it is practically new. The gaps above the tires look like a new car (big, probably 1.25 inches or so). Sorry I'm away from home for another week so I can't even email you any Picts I have on my home computer. The wheels are the stock 18s.

Come to think of it, Executor999 has pics of my G8. He was dialling back his suspension mods to deal with the crap roads after moving to the NE. So what is comfortable has a lot to do with the road conditions in your region.
    Last edited by WhatNext; 02-23-2017 at 09:22 PM.

6. Likes firefighter liked this post
    VIP Member with OCD Executor999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the pics of WhatNext's G8. Essentially it is stock ride height.

WhatNext, just let me know and I will take them down.
    Last edited by Executor999; 02-24-2017 at 03:01 AM.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

'Charlie the GRRRR8' - Rest in Peace 11/14/2013

8. Likes firefighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are those stock diameter tires? That gap is way more than I have out back. Not complaining or criticising. Just surprised. I bought my car used with 10K miles and now I'm wondering if it has springs... there's nothing that will make the rear drop is there? I mean similar to the strut mounts up front.

Post Thanks / Like

I just dug up an older picture. The wife is at work with the car. Maybe the gaps are bigger than I'm thinking. I know the front is lower than this pic.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine has stock original springs (for now), and at 75k, is looking lowered relative to Whatnext's. I'll be putting in PPVs, Teins, and SuperPro Polylast strut mounts (they aren't the stiff polyurethane). I figure it may go down a little, but not as much as the advertised drop.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Executor999, thanks for posting the pics to help a fellow G8'r out.

My wheels/tires size are the stock 245/45-18s. The gaps are pretty much the same as pics I took back in 09. Nothing in the back that will change the height like the strut bushings but springs do relax with the miles. Some more than others. See J Wikoff's comment about looking lowered compared to mine, he has double the miles that I have.

13. Likes firefighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My car is hitting 60K. I'm going to have to look at it better when it gets home.