Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to do PPV struts. Spring opinions needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my car with the ppv/eibach combo.

Car had 60k miles on it when I bought it and springs/struts were original and blown out. I. Still my car only came down 1/2" over the factory sagging set up.

Ride is firm without being to harsh.

2. Likes firefighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    Have you looked at Lovells for the g8 - I think they make a package for the car that has a slight front drop.

but before you spend money on springs I have to ask a few questions. Do you drive the car often, on city streets? Does harshness and noise bother you?

I would honestly suggest not replacing the springs - get new strut mounts - and use the FE3 or PPV struts on the car. which is what I did - but I DD my car every day, on crappy memphis city streets. Having gone down the road of lowering this or that - even using properly adjusted or tuned struts/shocks for the lowered car spring rate - it was still too harsh day in and out.

bigger issue - not so much the ride but the damn scraps. entrances off the road, big dips in the driveways, trapezoidal speed bumps etc. So I would consider some of that before lowering the car if any of that might bother you - daily.
    I did look into Lovells but they are a little steep.

Most of our roads are smooth and most of the driving is highway.

I want the minimum drop just to close up the gap it's pretty unsightly to me. I want to make the ride sporty but liveable.

I haven't owned a non lowered vehicle in about 30 years. Well let's just say they all end up lowered.

My biggest question is the mounts. Part of me wants to do the Whiteline camber correction mounts for the SAI benefits similar to what I did on my 1LE. I've never really notice NVH issues from them, but I'm sure my tolerance is much higher than my wife's.

Right now I'm leaning towards PPV, Tein, and Super Pro Polylast mounts to minimize NVH.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post

Here is my car with the ppv/eibach combo.

Car had 60k miles on it when I bought it and springs/struts were original and blown out. I. Still my car only came down 1/2" over the factory sagging set up.

Ride is firm without being to harsh.
    It's hard to tell from the pic does it still have a little bit of rake?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting ready to do PPV struts. Spring opinions needed.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    It's hard to tell from the pic does it still have a little bit of rake?

Bad picture...I found the original

No rake car sits level witch I prefer.ca has probably settled another 1/4 inch since the picture. I kind of wish it was a little lower but the handling is much better and I don't scrape on anything...completely daily driver friendly

6. Likes firefighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post
    Bad picture...I found the original

No rake car sits level witch I prefer.ca has probably settled another 1/4 inch since the picture. I kind of wish it was a little lower but the handling is much better and I don't scrape on anything...completely daily driver friendly

That no rake thing is why I'm looking at the Teins. I need to check the spring rate between the two. It seems most have done Eibachs.

Thanks for the pic man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    I did look into Lovells but they are a little steep.

Most of our roads are smooth and most of the driving is highway.

I want the minimum drop just to close up the gap it's pretty unsightly to me. I want to make the ride sporty but liveable.

I haven't owned a non lowered vehicle in about 30 years. Well let's just say they all end up lowered.

My biggest question is the mounts. Part of me wants to do the Whiteline camber correction mounts for the SAI benefits similar to what I did on my 1LE. I've never really notice NVH issues from them, but I'm sure my tolerance is much higher than my wife's.

Right now I'm leaning towards PPV, Tein, and Super Pro Polylast mounts to minimize NVH.

I wished I hadn't done poly mounts on my car but that's all I could get in my hand when I needed to do the struts (one actually blew on me that week). Otherwise I'd have done rubber.

On the camber correction for a minimal drop and with the other adjustment I would say the g8 won't need it. and for DD use - unless you have a loud motor (any headers, exhaust mod, cammed, . . . ) I would do a non -poly urethane mount. Loud motor - forget you'll never know.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

9. Likes firefighter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well on my 1LE I did the Camber plates for SAI and caster locks with a larger rear bar and a few other things. I was thinking trying to mimic this for the G8...

I need to keep reminding myself that my wife is the primary driver. LoL

Last edited by firefighter; 02-28-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

For me living in a city the lowering thing just makes less and less sense. all toy car - maybe - there's places I wouldn't go. but DD - it's just not worth it.

Now the sway bar thing - I like the BMR adjustable ones - I think whiteline makes a set too. PPV struts will do you well and to be fair I'd just stick with the stock springs. YOu could if you wanted to get you some longer bolts for the rear strut mount - and make you a spacer of some form of say 10mm thick but I wouldn't go any thicker. if oyu just wantes some purpose rake to the car - but again I have to try to talk you out of it.

I came from the GTO to the g8 and it had a natural rake - and it had issues with rear spring sag - because the OE spring didn't work with the weight of that car. ANd well the torque arm and a few other issues that I think get overlooked - but sidenote.

To that end - rake of the car only made the lowering thing that much worse for me - IE entrances off of roads, shit in the road, or worse - this one apartment parking lot where I would highside the damn exhaust because of the speed bump.

Handling wise - unless on a race course - something I did occasionally - I never really got any benefit from it - just road rash.

(trying to save you a few pennies for other useful mods - like HID's or minor stereo work - and tuning if you haven't done those)

Post Thanks / Like

Well I know all about driving a lowered vehicle my Camaro is down for a performance purpose and honestly is comfortable 95% of the time. Anything I've talked about for the G8 is mild in comparison. We live in more of a suburban environment. 98% of the roads we use are smooth.

I get what you are saying and I appreciate it. I'm pretty sure that coils need to get done though.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine have 149K miles on them and they are as good as can be. G8 Springs don't have the issues the GTO did - so there isn't any notable spring sag that's an issue.

Now the mounts and struts - and the rubber isolators well that's wear.

Other than lowering the car - the springs last well and are very well made. If anything I would maybe consider a set of PPV springs with the PPV dampers but I wouldn't call it necessary. How many miles are on the car?