Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Solo 3inch catback muffs

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Solo 3inch catback muffs

Got a killer deal on a 3" solo catback. I have a LSA, based on airflow, 3" is preferred over my true 2.5inch setup. I do have kooks mids and catless. My 2.5" was with magnaflow muffled X, vibrant resonators and VT's.

I knew the 3" would be loud outside, and it does not disappoint. Interior, the 8 has great sound insulation as I took a audio spectra, the levels are virtually the same. Out back is different story.

I have a set of oval cutouts - what mufflers have been used to tone it down? I still have my stockers, with them and the cutouts I may be fine. Am thinking to also go with VT. Comment? Experiences?

Thank you in advance
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Post Thanks / Like

Subbed, i have a similar setup and would like to tone it down a bit
    LS3 - Livernois 1C cam - Joker ported LSA - Vaporworx - e85 - 2.55 upper / stock lower

PB: 1.63 60' 10.51@133

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Figured I'd follow up.

Spent some time tuning the solos. Sound recording at multiple RPM and pedal positions, then used Audacity for spectral analysis along with my ears to get the solos tuned. I also fabbed up a set of Gibson CFT superflows in an attempt to tone it down. The CFT's provided a deeper voice, you could tell the difference between the two sets. The CFT's had little drone, - more than the tuned solos, less than the out of tune solos. Both systems received compliments, I think the CFT got more as they were deeper sounding.

In the end, I went back to stock GT mufflers, modified for the 3in slip fit inlet. These are almost as quiet as when the car was new, blower whine is clear now. To have the loud option, a set of QTP oval cutouts are on the GT muffler inlet pipes. Hopefully my days are done playing with exhaust for a while.

36830925615_dd0664ebe8_b.jpg
    Last edited by jcmGT; 08-26-2017 at 07:07 PM.
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcmGT View Post
    Figured I'd follow up.

Spent some time tuning the solos. Sound recording at multiple RPM and pedal positions, then used Audacity for spectral analysis along with my ears to get the solos tuned. I also fabbed up a set of Gibson CFT superflows in an attempt to tone it down. The CFT's provided a deeper voice, you could tell the difference between the two sets. The CFT's had little drone, - more than the tuned solos, less than the out of tune solos. Both systems received compliments, I think the CFT got more as they were deeper sounding.

In the end, I went back to stock GT mufflers, modified for the 3in slip fit inlet. These are almost as quiet as when the car was new, blower whine is clear now. To have the loud option, a set of QTP oval cutouts are on the GT muffler inlet pipes. Hopefully my days are done playing with exhaust for a while.

36830925615_dd0664ebe8_b.jpg
    Thanks for the update, good info.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader