Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drilling caliper orifices?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drilling caliper orifices?

So an identical '09 G8 GT pulls in next to me at the gas station - and the guy really wants to talk G8. I noticed his calipers are painted black and I eventually asked him if he knows how to decrease the petal travel. I already had SS lines to install but this guy says SS lines are not needed - that the best way to a quicker petal is to open up the caliper orifices. And I wouldn't be here if I had just asked him - what size bit? He was right about the SS brake lines - it helped a bit but I want the petal to tighten up 'faster.' After installing Centric rotors and ss lines, I am happy with the brakes otherwise - and now once they start to grip the feel is firm and linear - not spongy at all - I just want that feel at the top of the travel.
    Now I have new caliper seal kits and ready to drill - but I can't find a darn word about drilling orifices on the web. I would try this but for concern about messing up the front to rear bias.
    I would appreciate input from direct experience, just don't want a lot of supposition about it being a bad idea.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a new one on me. Let us know what you find. Seems one could mess things up if not done right. probably best not to tempt fate for safety sake if there isn't an answer
    Last edited by Leon McJones; 02-07-2017 at 08:05 PM.
    09 White Hot G8 GT
    Tuned by Rick Crawford
    Kooks, Circle-D, Vararam, HSRK, BP catch can, RP oil
    DBA 4000, Hawk Ceramic, Russel Stanless, Ate Super Blue,
    FE3, Whiteline, BMR, UMI, Spohn

Homelink, Adams Premium, Infinity Reference

Post Thanks / Like

It's new one for me.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Even the Google finds nothing for that.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

That doesn't make any sense. The inlet to the caliper is already as large as the banjo bolt. There is no "orifice" to be drilled out. The only sort of restriction would be the two holes in the bolt, or the internal diameter of the banjo bolt itself.

Post Thanks / Like

DON't

THE SMURF

DON"T: The only orifices that he might be talking about would be taking apart the caliper and drilling the little holes inside the body where the fluid presses out through the body into the "pots". IE taking the pots out of the caliper and relieving the holes in there - please don't bother. Now if he got them choked up with paint when he painted them - different animal.

OK so you drill the caliper - did you maybe increase the diameter of your hoses, or your lines, or those B nuts in the junctions, or the orifices at the ABS Control valve . . . . . . stem to stern.

NO you didn't

well get all that done first or well perhaps and this is an unintended consequence.

See OK he took the calipers off maybe - etc. Perhaps in his haste of what he did - he also forgot to mention how the lines leaked down - how the caliper dried back out - and how he ended up with new fluid from stem to stern and happened to also get all new fluid with no bubbles in the caliber too. Doing a full flush and fill - and getting all the air out and a good clean fluid with quality SS lines will make wonders to your brake feel. first stop, repeats stops on hot brakes either way.

But don't go drilling things. NOW about that initial travel question - that's designed in - and it's inside your ABS controller more so than anywhere and it is there to allow you to press and create some initial operting pressure incase the ABS system and the Electronic Brake Force distribution - has to activate while you are stopping. IE it's the headroom that allows that system to work even on gentle braking. (Let's the system work with light foot pressure as well as it would work if you were in a stomp to the floor situation).

Most cars with ABS, EBD and Stability assistance (IE most cars built after 2007) have this same sort of feel and it's fairly minimal. It is however not going to be like a race car or a built car without those systems. There needs to be some headroom.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

OH and which calipers? some have different sized orifices behind the pots on purpose so as to equalize their movement under pressure. There is a reason those are designed the way they are. It's about controllability of the brake.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not touch that, there are so many factors at play here with system articulation, system & pedal tuning, etc - it will be hard to control unless you feel like spending money on replacement parts, and any sort of liability issues.

I would not try that at home, GM engineering spent a lot of time on this application and the tuning [I worked on it at the time with an export model initially]
    2017 Chevy SS / OrangeBlast / A6/ Spare/ Roof - hers
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)
    2009 Saab 9-3 Combi / 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't touch it.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny, I was waiting for MIEngineer to chime in here, and he didn't let me down! Old-school "dumb" brakes are one thing, but when you have a computer helping the brakes work, you have to tread very carefully. Drilling orifices was lost on me from the beginning of the thread though, just sayin'
    2009.1 G8 GT MSM, Sport & Premium
    Creature Comfort:
    19" spare & Pace jack kit, autodim mirror, visor light mod, pass seat slider fix, subwoofer mod, Homelink visor (by Snakey),
    XM & OnStar out/CoStar BLUESTAR in

Show:
    debadged except GM chicklets, custom GXP front fascia, GXP rear diffuser, Holden Center Caps

Go/Whoa:
    VMS ECM/TCM tune, Vararam, HSRK, ARH 1-3/4" LTH, HFCs into stock mufflers, Mobil 1, Pedders Street 1 kit, front Brembo's, PPV struts & shocks

[U] Stuff waiting patiently for installation [U]
    LSA Supercharger (base), Rear PPV shocks, Rear Brembo's, Russell rear brake lines, Staggered Camaro 20's with Holden centers, Morimoto HID's, wireless Aux input for tunes off of the cell phone.

PB: 13.468 @104.4 tune & Vararam