Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to do my Own Oil & Filter changing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texn884 View Post
    Well, after the dumb fucks at the local oil change place I had been going to for years and the last time the dope dragged the air hose all over the ass and right side of the Rat and scratched the paint and I came UN Screwed at them when they said whats the problem dude!

I have the oil and just need to waste oil catch can and need a filter and filter wrench which Ill get those two things tomorrow at Auto Zone.

http://www.autozone.com/shop-and-gar...questid=314696

http://www.autozone.com/shop-and-gar...questid=315276

Since i am doing that I'll rotate the tires again and save some $$ and not get my car fucked up again.

Any suggestions
    Just clicked on your first link.. Fancy oil catcher! LOL I use the hog pan probably for no better reason because my dad used something similar.
    '09 White Hot GT, Premium, Sunroof - SOLD May 2021

Holden leather armrest, rear ashtray/cig lighter, Homelink, Auto dimming rearview mirror, Atari gauges by SAS & GTPprix, glove box light, LCD interior lights, GXP diffuser, 6.0 litre badges, painted calipers, BMR subframe connectors & drive shaft tunnel brace, Polk DB651 & DB6501 component speakers, Factory bluetooth, BMR x-member bushings, Corsa, many dealer installed mods (ie Fixes ). Waiting to install: Nothing.. I need to find the credit card!

Post Thanks / Like

LAND FILL? You don't take it to be recycles and keep it out of the water table.

Tsk tsk. Seriously places will take it for free.

I use a pan similar to your first post TEXN - mines older design though. But I don't keep or transport the oil in that. I reuse the jugs I buy the oil in - and I keep atleast 2 on hand at all time - empty. I then empty the capture pan into the jugs - put jugs in a trash bag - put in trunk of car and dump the crap at Autozone or O'reilly.

You're paying the fee when you buy the oil anyway you might as well take the moment to dispose of it properly.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

incidentally I use the same pan for trans oil, and diff oil. And yes I do actually dump that at the autozone or Oriely too - based on how they recycle oil.

I would not put coolant in that pan though.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a 3 or so gallon low profile storage tub to catch the oil. Put the fresh oil in the engine, then pour the old oil into the oil jugs I just emptied.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Get a Fumoto valve. Makes changes a bit easier.
    RIP Charlie, The GRRRR8 One

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Red"]

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (one of 38 as optioned), MSM, M6, Sunroof, Onyx/Red (sold)
    2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829, MSM, A6, sunroof
    2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, spare, #555 of 2221.

You can push the envelope, but it's still stationery

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 16 quart basin like you show but I now use a 5 gallon steel container myself. I use an over sized funnel and just drain the oil directly in the container. It has a screw cap and inside the hole you can pull out the spout to pour. This way its easy for me to take it to the local town garage for recycle.

I will recommend a filter for you. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It says it doesn't fit the G8 but it does..Its much more heavy duty high performance version. The base plate and housing are more heavy duty and the filter inside has more media in it. You will feel the weight of it compared to the other one PF48E
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

got it all done, oil change filter and a can of BG MOA switched out the fog lap bulbs and rotated the tires
    Besides not tighting down the right front wheel becausewife called you need to go get your son at school he sprained his ankle I forgot to do that wheel and it was loose, stopped at a shop im starting to use and they drove it and found that one to be wayyyyyyyyyy loose, Never Hurry your work especially that!

2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

8. Likes Markmsf3, MongosG8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing all mine tomorrow. I'm a little nervous about the transmission, but I've read till my eyes were bleeding and I think I can do it.
    '09 WH G8 GT
    Premium/Sport
    Red/Onyx
    Rotofab CAI
    Cortex 93 tune
    20% tint

I just wanted one.

Post Thanks / Like

Im going to do mine in March (tranny flush) and have the shop I found do it that helped me yesterday with a quick tightening of the wheels and torqued them for free with putting it on their lift and test driving to make sure I did not screw up more all for free.
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

Doing the oil change yourself is not a bad idea. One less thing for the monkeys to screw up. I have been using the same shop for my vehicles for years, but recently the owner opened a second shop, solely for commercial vehicles. The new guy he has pulling wrenches now is a nice enough guy, but wondered why I was pissed he put all TEN quarts (2 Mobil 1 5-qt jugs) into the motor! "doesn't this have the dry-sump motor?" he asks, as he is looking up at a plain old "wet" sump pan...
    2009.1 G8 GT MSM, Sport & Premium
    Creature Comfort:
    19" spare & Pace jack kit, autodim mirror, visor light mod, pass seat slider fix, subwoofer mod, Homelink visor (by Snakey),
    XM & OnStar out/CoStar BLUESTAR in

Show:
    debadged except GM chicklets, custom GXP front fascia, GXP rear diffuser, Holden Center Caps

Go/Whoa:
    VMS ECM/TCM tune, Vararam, HSRK, ARH 1-3/4" LTH, HFCs into stock mufflers, Mobil 1, Pedders Street 1 kit, front Brembo's, PPV struts & shocks

[U] Stuff waiting patiently for installation [U]
    LSA Supercharger (base), Rear PPV shocks, Rear Brembo's, Russell rear brake lines, Staggered Camaro 20's with Holden centers, Morimoto HID's, wireless Aux input for tunes off of the cell phone.

PB: 13.468 @104.4 tune & Vararam