Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Looking to get other opinions Re: needed revision tune after cat delete.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking to get other opinions Re: needed revision tune after cat delete.

I posted this question on a different forum. Just looking to get a solid opinion.

I have High flow cats. Rear o2 have been disabled via tune. Current tune has cat over protection deactivated.( Patrick Guerra and a local tune combo.) If I decide to remove cats, am I good, or do I need to get , yet another revision/ to tune?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iCUDAhadAg8 View Post
    I posted this question on a different forum. Just looking to get a solid opinion.

I have High flow cats. Rear o2 have been disabled via tune. Current tune has cat over protection deactivated.( Patrick Guerra and a local tune combo.) If I decide to remove cats, am I good, or do I need to get , yet another revision/ to tune?
    It would be a good idea to get it retuned yeah.
    2015 White Hot Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick - BTR Stage 3 cam, headers, intake *Traded 11/11/2023*
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 - 6.2L, Ultimate Pack *Turned in 4/13/2021*
    2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick *Traded 2/1/18*
    2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Traded 7/7/16*
    2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT * Sold 6/10/14*

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, Please help me understand. Whats occurring that is different; after the cats are removed? What is the ecu seeing thats different? How is it sensing any difference, if the rear o2's which are located in the rear exhaust, arent reading anything ?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The down stream O2's are recording long term. They are just monitors if I recall correctly. Removing the cats may affect proper fueling. Ask your tuner this question.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Front O2's are for monitering and for STFT, LTFT, the rear O2's are there to check if CAT is doing its job.

So you have CAT over protection turned off and no reporting on rear O2 sensors, then should be nothing else for no CATS !

and no reason to retune
    09 G8 GXP Auto, 4dr GTO 13.60@104.2 6177 DA.... tvs2300 13.2@110.2 spinnig all the way !
    07 G5 GT 2.4T Auto, Baby GTO 13.20@106.4
    @ 4200' in the sky !
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewbrooks87 View Post
    towing stuff with cars is cool !

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh, Thats where im confused I guess. I thought the main o2 was before the cat, Therefore the cat doesnt have anything in it/ on it that can send a signal to ecu/ecm. Thats where the rear o2s come in. They sense un burned fuel/ carbon and tells ecu to adjust. But...... if the rear o2s are inactive , it cant send a signal re: un burned fuel/carbon to ecu/ecm. So, with that being said, I thought removing the cats would not /can not effect performance, with the exception of active/deactivated choice in the tune - for the cat (over protection ).
    Last edited by iCUDAhadAg8; 02-01-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha, .. Thats what I wanted to here ! I was getting the opposite answer on two boards. But it just didnt make sense to me :-(