Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Wideband replacing one of the OEM H02 sensors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wideband replacing one of the OEM H02 sensors

I am going to be adding a Wideband sensor to my 08 L76 so I can utilize my HP Tuner 3.0 to do a number of mods.
    I am adding longtube headers to the engine and I need to install bungs for the O2 sensors. Here is my question.
    Should I replace one of the factory O2 sensors with something like a AEM 30-4110 and run it that way daily or should I add a 3rd bung and run 2 OEM units and the additional Bosch sensor.
    Would there be advantages to one or the other?

Thanks
    Toddah

Post Thanks / Like

You can tune out the second sensor and use them bungs.
    It depends on if you will use the post cat sensors or not.
    If you don't use them then you don't need them. But it's also best to have a wideband pre cat. There is also an optiumn location. I dunno what that is tho. Some say 6" from valve. Come say first location of stead stream past collector. Some say it don't matter.
    I would add the bung just before the cat and ensure you have zero leak on that flange. I recommend a vband with the slip over steep. Or you can leave about a 1/4" of pipe stick out into the other. I have always sanded them flat on a belt sander after welding then used Silicon when assembing.
    Last edited by BuildItYourSelf; 01-18-2017 at 03:31 PM.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Add the wideband sensor before the cat. The new bung should be welded in between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock. You will keep the upstream O2's. You will no longer need the downstream O2's. Those you can plug.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I guess I should have been more informative when asking my question.
    Long tube headers, No cats anywhere, 2.50" pipes performance mufflers .
    The entire G8GT 6.0 and 6L80E is in my 1966 Chevelle Malibu.
    Other than Exhaust and aftermarket Oil pan and all new front accessory drives the drivetrain is stock. Engine harness has been stripped of all unnecessary Smog junk and the ECM has been reprogrammed to eliminate all of the junk also.

I was hoping I could have bungs put in the collectors in the upper 1/4 of the collector on each side and run one Stock O2 sensor and the Wideband in the other so I could have the best of both worlds with the Stock 02 sensor satisfying the ECM and the AEM 30-4110 feeding the AEM gauge and the HPTuner Pro.
    I figured you guys were the experts in this field and I could benefit from your knowledge.
    I am kind of stuck in self induced hybred hell the Classic guys frown upon the car because of all the technology and I a hoping I can get some assist from the G8 community.
    Last edited by Toddah; 01-20-2017 at 09:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not good to put a wideband on a collector close to primary pipes.
    I would suggest no closer then 6" from merge point.
    The reason is you get inaccurate results that very at different temperatures.
    If you have no cat I would use a good header to pipe connection and go a few inches down from that.
    Unless you have a crazy long collector. Then you can put it just before the flange.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

From the merge point (end of the single tubes) to the end of the collector is about 7.25". Would I be better of going into the midpipe after the collector?
    I had some issues with a previous twin turbo rotary with the 02 sensor to far down the pipe and not getting hot enough and being flakey.
    I will be welding mild steel bungs in so I can do it wherever is best.

Thank the reply

Post Thanks / Like

I'd put it in the collector. Just to avoid a leak before the sensor.
    Only reason I brought it up was we had a problem once when a customer mounted his about two inches away from and between the primary tubes. It caused a big fluctuation in the reading.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I have decided to go with Vband clamps on the collector end so I can move the Wideband to around 6.5" from the end of the merge point on the collector.
    I will run both OEM sensors and an additional bung for the Wideband.
    I am still on the fence about what Wideband to get LM1, LM2 or AEM31-4110 AEM also has a Xseries 30-0333. anyone have any experience that may sway me one way or another?
    The LM series seem popular but I saw many people complaining about drift. I would like to use the LCU 4.9 as it seems more sensitive and stable. any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

I had the LM1 and it worked okay for me.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use the lnnovate stuff. If I remember correctly they all use the Bosch sensor. But it also depends on what you use with it. Data log, gauge or so on.
    I had a car the sensor signel went into the ecm. So I didn't need a box or anything.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885