Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do the front struts look right?

VIP Member with OCD Executor999's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do the front struts look right?

Three weeks ago I got new FE2 springs and FE front struts and rear shocks installed. I am amazed by the results, however while I was draining the catch can yesterday I noticed a small gap between the rubber of the strut caps and the strut tower. Before the install I recall the rubber being flush with the strut tower or certainly closer than these pics show. I had them install new BMR poly front strut bushings, and in fact all the suspension hardware is new since it had been 7 years since I last my suspension was touched.

The drive quality is tight; no noises, bangs, clicks or anything. The alignment job is 'perfect'. The car drives straight as an arrow, and yet when I saw this my stomach sank.

What do you all think? Am I worrying for nothing? BTW, the wheels are pointing forward in these pics.

Last edited by Executor999; 12-26-2016 at 07:50 AM.

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

'Charlie the GRRRR8' - Rest in Peace 11/14/2013

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. They all have a gap like that even after new strut mounts are install with new struts. Nothing at all to worry about.
    '09 WH G8 GT
    Premium/Sport
    Red/Onyx
    Rotofab CAI
    Cortex 93 tune
    20% tint

I just wanted one.

3. Thanks Executor999 thanked for this post
    Likes MongosG8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^^^^ what he said.
    things are not what they appear to be.....

2009.5 Liquid Red,Onyx Red, Premium Package, e85 Surprise Package

5. Thanks Executor999 thanked for this post
    Likes MongosG8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both!

2008 Pontiac G8 GT | PBM | Premium Package | Tuned by Patrick G | Wrenched by Enhanced Street Performance
    AC Delco | ARP | ATI | BMR | Centric | GForce Engineering | GM | Holden | Kooks | Manton | Moog | Norris Motorsports | Patrick G | Pedders | Pirelli | PRC | RCR | Rotofab | Russell | Texas Speed | SuperPro | Xforce

Post Thanks / Like

what's that ghey silver thing on top of them? that needs to go away as it's wasted weight. (damn it need a wall smiley)

serious note one looks a little higher than the other but within reasonable. How many miles/pot holes on the struts and bushes?

manufacturing variance is pretty significant for those pieces. Key is if it's tight and no noises - don't worry about it.

If it bothers you - lift the front up all the way - and then drop it back down slowly. and it would re-settle but might not make it better. as long as it's tight and no extra noises - rock out with your spock out.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the strut caps from Maverick Man. They aren't heavy and look better than the stock small plastic black caps so they're staying.
    http://www.maverickmancarbon.com/pro...8-and-chevy-ss

I got my suspension overhauled 3 weeks ago; everything is brand new including the front strut bushings and bearings. I've driven less than 500 miles with the new suspension so it hasn't even settled yet.

Thanks for the feedback. I think the reason one looks a bit higher than the other is the difference in the angle when I took the photos. Look at the red bracket. One is almost eye level and the other one is not.

I'll show the mechs at the shop and get their take.

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    what's that ghey silver thing on top of them? that needs to go away as it's wasted weight. (damn it need a wall smiley)

serious note one looks a little higher than the other but within reasonable. How many miles/pot holes on the struts and bushes?

manufacturing variance is pretty significant for those pieces. Key is if it's tight and no noises - don't worry about it.

If it bothers you - lift the front up all the way - and then drop it back down slowly. and it would re-settle but might not make it better. as long as it's tight and no extra noises - rock out with your spock out.
    Last edited by Executor999; 12-27-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw on the other forum that some say it looks like something is wrong with them. If you want, you can pm me your phone number and I'll text you some pics of mine that have about 3k miles on them and are PPV's with whiteline mounts and bushings. They look just like that.
    '09 WH G8 GT
    Premium/Sport
    Red/Onyx
    Rotofab CAI
    Cortex 93 tune
    20% tint

I just wanted one.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My poly strut bushings installed with zero gap and settled in to less than half of the gap shown in the picts and that was 6 years ago. In fact I changed out the stock bushings when the gap got to where your new bushings are. So it does look strange. Does the strut rod look off centered in the hole through the strut tower? You may want to take the top disks off to see. If they are visually centered then you are OK.

But take some gap measurements and use those as the starting point for these bushings. Hopefully the gap won't increase.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll double check but they did look centered to me. There's no play in them. Gonna bring it up with the shop that did the work next week.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatNext View Post
    My poly strut bushings installed with zero gap and settled in to less than half of the gap shown in the picts and that was 6 years ago. In fact I changed out the stock bushings when the gap got to where your new bushings are. So it does look strange. Does the strut rod look off centered in the hole through the strut tower? You may want to take the top disks off to see. If they are visually centered then you are OK.

But take some gap measurements and use those as the starting point for these bushings. Hopefully the gap won't increase.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your picks are accentuating the difference. Look again at the bottom of the bush (yeah boy) and notice how they don't even look the same. Meanwhile I bet they looked that way out of the package too.

You did say rubber bushes right - they deform a bit more than urethane ones in general - so they also have more material in places. SO look again and notice the bush is indeed touching on the bottom - just not flush with the mushroom top. because it's probably not flush to begin with.

THus again I wouldn't worry about it.

However as mentioned - few minutes you can take the tops off - check them for locations and if they have play (which I bet they do not) and then put the tops back on.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes