Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knocking noise from rear suspension

Post Thanks / Like

Default Knocking noise from rear suspension

Can anyone confirm that worn out/torn rear upper control arm bushings would make a knocking sound at 15mph and under, when turning, first accelerating and just generally driving around a parking lot.

I installed rear subframe spacers the other day, while doing it I was hoping to find this knocking noise I've been hearing in the rear, no luck. While I had the subframe down I noticed both upper control arm bushings have tears in them. The rubber isn't totally blown out but definitely torn enough to notice by just looking at them. Could those torn bushings cause a thumping knocking noise only at parking lot speeds? I sometimes hear it when normally accelerating from a stop. The Tein springs and PPV shocks are tight and seated properly. The BMR sway bar and links are good. I cannot find ANYTHING else back there loose or worn out. It kinda sounds like a poor fit of spring to shock and the spring is popping around but it's not that. I'm not crazy about dropping the rear subframe again and would like some ideas before I tackle those upper bushings.

Thanks
    V

Post Thanks / Like

The bolts in my upper control arms weren't tight. Finally, the hole started to get bigger from the bolts working back and forth. Washers were welded to the upper control arms and new bolts were installed. The knocking in mine went away.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ray, are you talking about the upper control arm bushings or the upper control arm to the hub/spindle?

Post Thanks / Like

Another weird thing, I cannot shake, bounce or rock back forth the car to recreate the noise. It seems like it only does it when rolling/driving. So knowing that, could it be diff or axles related? The diff bushings are ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vlj1216 View Post
    Hey Ray, are you talking about the upper control arm bushings or the upper control arm to the hub/spindle?
    I'll see if I can find a photo on my phone. I believe it's where it was bolted to the frame?
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah I now have this type of noise to - thought it was my worn sway bar end links - they were shot.

went away for about 2 weeks - came back and hasn't left again.

THought for a moment it might be the rear strut to body bolts got a bit loose or ? but I can't seem to rattle anything in the back with wheels up in the air either.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah rear shock to body is what I first thought too but that's tight and if I shook the car that would should make the noise. Screw it, I just ordered left and right Mevotech complete rear upper control arms. I guesss I'll just throw parts at it till I find it. They'll be here next week then I'll install them, I'll take pics of the old ones and keep this thread updated.

8. Likes -Ray- liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any updates to this?

I need to get my rear brakes on the car so I hope to be under mine soon - but I have noises front and read and I'm thinking more and more that it's related to the rubbers on the strut mounts. IE those thin rubber sheets that go in place on the metal bits to try to keep the noise down. Mine had holes in them with I took them off at 120K to do the strut replacements.

my other thought is I need new LCA's front and rear or rather new bushes. on the front I'm just going to get new arms and get a new ball joint under there too.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

The hole ray is probably talking about is the outter upper.
    The factory hole is much bigger then the bolt. If the bolt is loose it moves alot. I also welded washers on mine.
    On the rear shocks. Look at the rubber upper mount. It's a rubber plug looking thing that sits way up in the "bucket". I had a shock push that sucker out of its socket. (permanent fix with a uniball now).
    There is alot of bushings in the rear of the car. It honestly could be anything. Even look at the rear diff. If it's not metal on metal sounding good luck. I would start by tightening up every bolt I see that is relative to the suspension. Then if that's not the fix replace sway links then a bushing kit.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuildItYourSelf View Post
    The hole ray is probably talking about is the outter upper.
    The factory hole is much bigger then the bolt. If the bolt is loose it moves alot. I also welded washers on mine.
    On the rear shocks. Look at the rubber upper mount. It's a rubber plug looking thing that sits way up in the "bucket". I had a shock push that sucker out of its socket. (permanent fix with a uniball now).
    There is alot of bushings in the rear of the car. It honestly could be anything. Even look at the rear diff. If it's not metal on metal sounding good luck. I would start by tightening up every bolt I see that is relative to the suspension. Then if that's not the fix replace sway links then a bushing kit.
    Sorry but I still don't understand which hole and bolt we're taking about. I thought Ray was talking about the upper control arm but you're talking about the shock. I'm confused.