Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knocking noise from rear suspension

Post Thanks / Like

I talked about both.
    The upper control arm, outter bushing mount. More specifically the holes in the control arm the bolt goes through.
    And the shock (not a strut) upper bushing that holds it in place.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuildItYourSelf View Post
    I talked about both.
    The upper control arm, outter bushing mount. More specifically the holes in the control arm the bolt goes through.
    And the shock (not a strut) upper bushing that holds it in place.

OK I'm with you on the upper control arm to hub. You say you welded washers to the arm because the arm holes allow movement. So even if I go gorrila and crank down on that bolt there could still be play?

And on the shock your talking about where it mounts to the upper plate with the 4 bolts? You say that can have play?

Just last week I had the whole shock assembly out and inspected it, it was tight and I looked up in the body hole where it sits and no signs of contact. I put a wrench on everything back there as I reassembled and when I test drove there was absolutely no noise for about 1 week then it came back just as bad as before.

Post Thanks / Like

If the bolts are tight it won't move. But if it's a little loose a pot hole may move it. The hole is like a slot if I remember correctly. So I made it round.

On the shock. Up inside of the mount the spring sits on. There is a rubber "plug" looking thing the shock bolts to. That plug is pressed into a hole. If the plug is damaged it will flop around. Or like mine the plug pulled out. Likely when I lifted the car the shock ran out of travel or something silly. Maybe it was stiff from the cold. Who knows. Just saying it's possible source of the noise.

Number 8 from 3

110801HE07A100.JPG
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

Post Thanks / Like

Did you notice rubbber particles on top of the shock mount plate? That would be a sign the upper shock mounts are disintegrating. May even look and feel fine by hand.
    09 White Hot G8 GT
    Tuned by Rick Crawford
    Kooks, Circle-D, Vararam, HSRK, BP catch can, RP oil
    DBA 4000, Hawk Ceramic, Russel Stanless, Ate Super Blue,
    FE3, Whiteline, BMR, UMI, Spohn

Homelink, Adams Premium, Infinity Reference

Post Thanks / Like

Just wrapping up this post, installed Mevotech complete rear upper control arms... noise gone!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to know you got it fixed! Rear upper control arm rubber bushings on mine were torn and major contributor to rear rattles. Dropping the rear subframe for maintenance and upgrades was one of the best decisions I ever made
    09 White Hot G8 GT
    Tuned by Rick Crawford
    Kooks, Circle-D, Vararam, HSRK, BP catch can, RP oil
    DBA 4000, Hawk Ceramic, Russel Stanless, Ate Super Blue,
    FE3, Whiteline, BMR, UMI, Spohn

Homelink, Adams Premium, Infinity Reference

Post Thanks / Like

MAYBE it the guy you thought you killed in the trunk kinda like the mob would do? Im just saying you might open the trunk
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here

Post Thanks / Like

I clean out my dead hookers once a month or more other wise the smell will get to ya.

so I know it's not that.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

9. Likes vlj1216 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    I clean out my dead hookers once a month or more other wise the smell will get to ya.

so I know it's not that.
    well check that off the possibilities then, carry on
    2009 Panther Black Metallic "The Black Rat"
    Current Modifications: Front end, Roof Pillars & Front top of roof has Clear Shield, Holden V8 6.0 Badges, Holden V Trunk Badge from Crazy Paul, UPR Catch Can, Corsa Exhaust & Roto Fab CAI. Spare Tire and Jack and Tinted Window's, hood scoops gutted, Poor Mans Heater Hose modification (holding up the hoses with zip ties), Painted the front dart to Panther Black.

Patrick Guerra's Tune July 12, 2010: 345 HP, 355 Torque on 87 Octane
    Patrick's & Kurt's install of Kooks Long tubes 1 7/8" w/Corsa Connection Pipes
    11-3-10: 362 rwhp, 372 Torque and updated engine and transmission tune.

New Engine as of 10- 5, 2011. Patrick & Kurt's tune and dyno 10-19 2011:363 rwhp, 365 Torque 93 octane.
    Sounds so GRRRR8 BECAUSE RACE CAR

7-1-14 Brembo Front Brake upgrade & Bohnam Front Splitter installed Curt here