Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Charging system issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Charging system issues.

Hey gang. I replaced my alternator 2 weeks ago when I got an alternator warning. I checked the volts and it was only getting about 12.5 Volts and my battery charge was slowly dropping. I was out of town at the time and had to come back that night for work the next day. No one had an alternator for my car in Stock except Auto Zone so I had to pay $420 for a Duralast. Pissed me off big time, I even called around to friends and posted on facebook. No one had an extra one. And I couldn't wait for shipping or for the other stores to order one because I had to go back to be able to go to work.

So now, 2 weeks later I get a low battery warning I stop and check it engineering mode, it's down to 77.2% and my volts are only 12.6 and dropping I shut everything off except my headlights(nighttime) and get the car back home. I park and shut it off and start it back up. Upon startup the volts are in the mid 13s, within a very short time they drop.

So has this alternator gone bad? Did I just waste $420 on an alternator that will continue to fail since it isn't a brand new OEM AC Delco one that everyone told me to get that I couldn't wait for? What's going on here? I'm pulling the battery and alternator out to get them both tested. I just don't want to deal with this again 2 weeks later. It's some BS.

Here's a video of what my readouts are telling me.

https://youtu.be/PDcL_qW5HTM

Pale Horse
    2009 G8 GT Sport Edition
    Mods: Vararam intake, HIDs

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess this has been covered or no one is interested in talking about it. Thankfully I was able to return the alternator and get a full refund after having the battery tested as good and explaining that the part from them does not work properly on our vehicles. Ordered the AC Delco part from amazon. Hopefully I don't run into this again.

Pale Horse
    2009 G8 GT Sport Edition

Post Thanks / Like

In my truck the alternator varies the output based on need. Are you sure the G8 isn't the same way?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it does. From what I understand it does so through the clutch hub on the very front of the alternator pulley. Which the Duralast part did not have. And the volts were so low that I was losing battery charge to the point of warning lights on the dash. The AC Delco part that I ordered does have the clutch hub thing on the front of the pulley so hopefully that will fix this issue

Pale Horse
    2009 G8 GT Sport Edition

5. Likes STL_G8GT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got back or I would have posted sooner.

sorry

yes you either need an actual DELCO alternator of which I believe there are 3 parts that will work. One is the number for the g8, one is off the ppv, and the other is from the 08-11 silverado.

or something like that - please look that up though.

not all parts people seen to look beyond the g8 number.
    If Guns Kill people, then Spoons Cause Diabetes

Post Thanks / Like

Also sorry for my late post.

Glad you ordered the AC Delco .. You do need an OEM alternator.
    Went through this a few years ago. Like Napalm stated ..there is 2 alternators that I know of that work and they're OEM AC Delco.
    2009 White Hot G8 GT w/ Onyx/Red Int. Sport/Premium, No Sunroof, Garage Queen

Borla Cat Back, VCM OTR Intake, DBA 4000 Slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads, GXP Diffuser painted White, GXP Fascia, Crystal Clear side markers, Black Scoops, 20% Tint all around. 20" Camaro SS polished staggered, Shark Fin, Infinity 6032si front and Polk db651s rear

R.I.P. Charlie (Mr GRRRR8)
    R.I.P. Chris (Panzer Leader)

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

Post Thanks / Like

And the AC Delco has fixed the issue! Thanks everyone!

Pale Horse
    2009 G8 GT Sport Edition

9. Likes STL_G8GT, MongosG8 liked this post