Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: got vim, got backup camera, need...

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The backup camera that I purchased only had shot cables for video/power, so I ran a long RCA cable up to the radio and made a power cable to tap into the rear back-up lights. Works great, and only gets power when the car is in reverse. I used the JHP auto switch and PnP connector for the connections to the factory head unit.

-Todd...

Post Thanks / Like

Todd,
    I believe I have the same camera that you have. I just got it in the mail and I'm about to install it. Do you happen to have a photo of the splice into the backup lights wire for power? I just want to make sure I wire it to the right place.

Thanks,
    EchoCharlie

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EchoCharlie View Post
    Todd,
    I believe I have the same camera that you have. I just got it in the mail and I'm about to install it. Do you happen to have a photo of the splice into the backup lights wire for power? I just want to make sure I wire it to the right place.
    I don't have a photo of the wires that I spliced into. It was on the passenger's side rear back-up light. I traced the wires that came out of the back of the bulb towards the harness... i believe there were three (?) and I want to say there were two shades of green (?). I used a volt meter to check the current when the car went in/out of reverse... and tapped into the two appropriate wires with T-taps. I tapped into the wires on the side closest to the bulb, so that if there was ever an issue I didn't have to replace the entire wring harness... just the part that goes to the light.

-Todd...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Todd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by norm8332 View Post
    I know there is a plug in the trunk on the same side as the battery that is for the "rear object sensor package". According to what I read power is supplied to this connector when the car is put in reverse. (I don't know witch pins you will need a meter to check)

You could use this and the camera would power on when you put it in reverse. (according to what I read)

Does anyone know the part number for this plug? Adding a reverse cam and would like to make a harness to plug in instead of having to splice wires.