Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chevy SS Bose amp install in a G8

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chevy SS Bose amp install in a G8

Work in process. Not a plug an play option unless you have the right Holden IQ silverbox. Only the high end Holden Caprice and HSV models came with the factory Bose amp so an IQ silverbox from these vehicles is needed. After some research, it turns out the Chevy SS has the same Bose amp. GM PN 92294276. I got a great deal on one at a local junkyard.

I had a radio with options I was not using so I figured I would give it a try. Hope to have this wrapped up this weekend if time permits.

Factory G8 amp -

Bose amp on factory bracket. You can see in the first pic that the bracket already has the bolt cutouts for the Bose amp. I was thinking I had to modify the bracket or buy the SS bracket and make that fit the G8.
    2009.5 PBM GT
    PatG Tune, Kooks Mids, Roto-fab w/HSRK
    BMR & Crazy Paul stuff

Post Thanks / Like

ttt

Post Thanks / Like

So looking at this even the label says the amp in the trunk is just for the subwoofers. What is the goal or what am I not understanding with this?
    2009.1 SBM/Onyx GT Premium/no sport/no roof
    Procharged, cam'd, stalled
    219/234 .619 114lsa
    Tuned by New Era Performance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lvgmman View Post
    So looking at this even the label says the amp in the trunk is just for the subwoofers. What is the goal or what am I not understanding with this?
    I can see the confusion after rereading my post. I should not have said "plug and play". Yes, the G8 amp only powers the subs but the Bose amp will power all speakers plus subs. The IQ radio I have has line level outputs and remote enable for the amp. The Bose amp has 3 plugs so I created 3 harnesses for it including one that will tie into the factory G8 amp harness. I'll try to take some more pics later tonight.
    2009.5 PBM GT
    BMR & Crazy Paul stuff

Post Thanks / Like

So I take it you found the connectors you needed
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@PacePerformance View Post
    So I take it you found the connectors you needed
    I never did get the one that I asked you about.

Here is a picture of the harnesses I made:

Looking at the amp, from left to right the connectors are identified as X1, X2 and X3 for the Holden Caprice. For the Chevy SS, they are identified as X3, X2 and X1.

X1 (or X3) 16 pin connector is black with a blue tab and is for the 8 line level speaker wires from the radio plus the remote and mute wires.
    The connector and terminals are made by Delphi and available at Mouser
    Delphi Connector - 15394150-B
    Delphi Terminal - 15394147-L

X2 16 pin connector is green and made by Yazaki. Available at GM dealers. This is for the wires going back to the speakers. I did not buy this connector and just used terminals that I had laying around and covered them with shrink tubing just to try out the amp.
    Yazaki Connector # is 7283-5534-60
    GM service connector # 89047090
    Yazaki Terminal # 7116-4101-08

X3 (or X1) 8 pin black with white connector. I bought service connector, AC-Delco PT2641, GM PN 13580111 from Amazon. Came with 8 leads already. This connector is for the amp power, ground, subs and right front speaker output wires. The factory G8 amp plug has 6 of the 8 wires needed.

In order to not modify the existing G8 amp wiring/connector, I was able to find a male connector that would plug into the factory G8 female amp connector.
    TE Connectivity - 174933-2
    TE Terminals - 173633-2
    Available at Mouser

For the wiring, 10 wires are needed from the radio to the X1(X3) amp plug. I bought a 50ft 10 conductor 24 awg wire bundle from ebay. Another 6 wires are needed to go from the amp back to the radio wiring for front and center speaker outputs. I used wiring that I already had. The rest of the wires you use from the factory G8 amp harness. I can post up the Bose amp connector pinouts info if anyone needs them.

Wiring diagrams from a 2012 Holden Caprice (WM)

Last edited by BlackGT5; 10-04-2016 at 07:40 PM. Reason: added Caprice WM speaker and amp wiring diagram
    2009.5 PBM GT
    BMR & Crazy Paul stuff

7. Thanks STL_G8GT thanked for this post
    Likes -Ray-, STL_G8GT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I too have an IQ radio this has my interest purely for results I figured at some point I would change all the paper speakers to a better quality speaker to improve the radio. I don't really listen to the radio ever but I like new ideas for the old gal either way. Good work sub'd for results and to call Greg a slackass.
    219/234 .619 114lsa

Post Thanks / Like

My iq radio is from a hsv e3 ute w/ nav was also an edi car but I didn't get the edi.
    219/234 .619 114lsa

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lvgmman View Post
    My iq radio is from a hsv e3 ute w/ nav was also an edi car but I didn't get the edi.
    Yea you should have the right radio for this but will likely need it reprogrammed as I assume the amp and speaker settings were set to a non Bose amp vehicle. Have you noticed that your center speaker does not work with your IQ radio? The Bose amp powers the center speaker so the speaker will not work the way you have it now.

So I plugged everything in and......got nothing. No sound

I triple checked all of the wiring at the amp and radio and confirmed it was all okay. Took out my handy voltmeter and rechecked the remote enable pin on the X2 radio connector which showed 12 volts as it should. Other IQ radios (w/o Bose option) should show 0 volts on this pin. Then checked the mute pin on the X4 radio connector and it was showing about 5 volts which was muting the speakers. I believe it should show 0 volts but I need to confirm. Removed the mute wire and i get sound Sounds pretty damn good too!

I started looking for a short. I checked the wires at the amp and noticed 0 volts for the rear left speakers. Took the door panel and speaker out and noticed the apparently common corroded connections. Also 0 volts at the speaker connector so I have to check the factory wiring between the door and amp. Hopefully an easy fix. Ordered some Polk DB651s's from Amazon in the meantime for all four doors. Was not planning to change the speakers but should sound even better now.

Last edited by BlackGT5; 10-01-2016 at 05:11 AM.
    2009.5 PBM GT
    BMR & Crazy Paul stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Rear left speaker was not working due to a lose connection at the amp
    After a couple of hours of checking the speaker wiring turns out the wiring at the door and B pillar was okay. Also cancelled the DB651s's that I ordered since they are 4ohm and they do not seem to be the preferred way to go as a 2ohm replacement with a factory amp. I read some SS guys are replacing the stockers with Infinity Reference 6032cf. Will keep looking. May just go back to stockers. Not a audiophile so don't need expensive.

Not sure why the speakers are muting so I will just leave the mute wire off for now. I removed the 40 pin radio plug and only connected power and ground and the mute pin still shows about 5 volts. May be something in the radio SW/calibration that was tweaked. I'll live with it for now since it seems to be working fine otherwise.
    2009.5 PBM GT
    BMR & Crazy Paul stuff