Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: How much sound damping material do i need?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How much sound damping material do i need?

I want to put sound damping material on the inner and outer skins of all four doors, the top and bottom of the rear deck (where the OEM subs sit), and the entire trunk. How much material will I need? I see that most companies that make a sound damping material sell a bulk pack that is about 35 square feet. Will that be enough to do all the areas I want to cover?

I've narrowed my choices down to:
    KnuKonceptz Kno Knoise Kolossus due to the very good reviews I've read or Stinger Roadkill Expert due to price and decent reviews. If I can cover all the areas I want with one bulk pack I'll probably go with the KnuKonceptz material, but If I'll need more than one bulk pack to cover all the areas I want I'll probably buy the Stinger Roadkill product due to the price difference.

What do y'all think? How much material will I need?
    Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I bought a big roll of it from http://www.raamaudio.com/categories/...?sort=alphaasc and can't remember how much there was but I still have some of it left and I did all four doors inside and out and under the rear seat and parts of the trunk.

I don't see where they show a roll anymore however. It was back in '09 when I did it to my GT.

They quality was VERY good though.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

How much of the trunk did you cover? I see the trunk as being the area where it eats up a lot of material. Especially if I want to cover the entire thing.

Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX
    Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

Post Thanks / Like

Well what happened is I went to BestBuy and bought the WAY OVER PRICED Dynamat and did some of my trunk and parcel tray so it's not fair for me to say. With what I have leftover, I bet I could do 1/3rd of the trunk, but again, I did under the rear seat too.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to do some reading at https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ they recommend about 50% coverage of the stick on material as they have seen that complete coverage does not make that much more of a difference (unless you count added weight) They they recommend covering the entire area in thin foam (decoupler) and a a dense barrier to stop unwanted sound from transmitting..

I asked them to do an estimate for the PPV caprice (since we got no sound deadening material from the factory) this is what they came up with. Think you could follow this recommendation\/estimation and still be just a bit over with material as the caprice is basically an extra 4 inches in the rear door area.

http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/view...howdown#p11804

Post Thanks / Like

I had looked at their site yesterday and they actually have a kit for the G8. It's $851 though in just materials. That's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than I'm looking to spend. I'm not looking at doing a huge stereo. I'm just looking to add a 5 channel amp, a DSP, and a 12" sub and just want to lessen the rattling that I know will be coming.
    Terry Scott
    San Antonio, TX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smwalker View Post
    If you want to do some reading at https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ they recommend about 50% coverage of the stick on material as they have seen that complete coverage does not make that much more of a difference (unless you count added weight) They they recommend covering the entire area in thin foam (decoupler) and a a dense barrier to stop unwanted sound from transmitting..

I asked them to do an estimate for the PPV caprice (since we got no sound deadening material from the factory) this is what they came up with. Think you could follow this recommendation\/estimation and still be just a bit over with material as the caprice is basically an extra 4 inches in the rear door area.

http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/view...howdown#p11804
    Quote Originally Posted by terryscott621 View Post
    I had looked at their site yesterday and they actually have a kit for the G8. It's $851 though in just materials. That's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than I'm looking to spend. I'm not looking at doing a huge stereo. I'm just looking to add a 5 channel amp, a DSP, and a 12" sub and just want to lessen the rattling that I know will be coming.
    I will say that the kit from Sound Deadener Showdown is very well thought out and put together. Don is super knowledgeable and will take care of any and all questions you may have. I have an enclosure that's going in the spare wheel well area and had some questions about the proper method of decoupling the enclosure from the body. He was prompt to reply and explained things that made a lot of sense. I would go with any/all of their products in a heartbeat. I know they are not cheap and it's a lot to put down for something that seems so silly but the results are worth it. I'm still working on mine right now or else I'd provide a full before and after write up on it. Can't wait to finish it all up. All it was suppose to be was a 5 gauge pod install but since I have the center dash stack torn out I figured I may as well go ahead with the stereo upgrade. That snowballed into sound deadening as well so yeah, just a few things going on.
    - Matt