Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Built 6l80e, Derale Atomic super cooler and yank 2800

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Built 6l80e, Derale Atomic super cooler and yank 2800

Burned up 4 stock 6l80e transmissions since I installed 3.55 pulley on the procharger.

So I got an Adam Cooper built 6l80e
    Derale atomic super cooler with fan
    Yank 2800 stall.

Transmission is awesome. Shifts nice. Holds power solid. Would highly recommend to those needing a trans upgrade

Car is an animal. Track times coming soon. I haven't dynoed the car.
    2008 G8 GT
    TSP Forged LS3- D1-221/232 RCR Cam-Ported L92's-Yank2800 Triple Disc-Squash-ID850-Coolingmist Meth Injection-Demon8 Designs-Aerofoce-BMR-BC Racing-Brembos-Kooks-Solo 3in-Derale atomic super cooler-ace performance built 6l80
    Rick Crawford Tuned
    663/596 Rwhp rwtq for now....
    10.87 at 133 1.59 60ft

2. Thanks drumsbh thanked for this post
    Likes drumsbh, STL_G8GT liked this post
    Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like
    2008 G8 GT
    TSP Forged LS3- D1-221/232 RCR Cam-Ported L92's-Yank2800 Triple Disc-Squash-ID850-Coolingmist Meth Injection-Demon8 Designs-Aerofoce-BMR-BC Racing-Brembos-Kooks-Solo 3in-Derale atomic super cooler-ace performance built 6l80
    Rick Crawford Tuned
    10.87 at 133 1.59 60ft

4. Likes STL_G8GT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to see you around. Glad it's still together! Hysterical I upgraded my trans cooler today...!

2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

My Temps stay at 150-160. Track I only saw 165.
    And that's with ambient Temps 100+
    2008 G8 GT
    Rick Crawford Tuned
    10.87 at 133 1.59 60ft

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thebeast View Post
    My Temps stay at 150-160. Track I only saw 165.
    And that's with ambient Temps 100+
    Yeah I still haven't routed it separate from the stock cooler because I live in cooler weather. It gets to temp crazy fast, now I just have to see if this cooler will keep the heat out of it.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ouch, 4 stockers! The build you have now is about the same as mine, so it should hold for awhile.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    Yeah I still haven't routed it separate from the stock cooler because I live in cooler weather. It gets to temp crazy fast, now I just have to see if this cooler will keep the heat out of it.
    Not sure if I mentioned this to you but I think I did on another transmission question on this forum a bit ago but have you checked out Improved Racings inline fluid thermostats? I had an issue with my 5.3/4L60 setup that's in my Jeep where the transmission fluid temp wouldn't get up to temperature at all. I did a lot of highway driving and in the winter time I was lucky if the needle on the gauge moved at all. Having them run cold is almost as bad as running them hot. I had the transmission cooler lines ran independent of the radiator at first but then ran them thru the radiator to try to build some heat in it. Still didn't work. I had to swap in a new radiator since my old one was leaking and decided to make a new transmission cooler bracket which also meant that I had to make some new cooler lines. I stumbled upon Improved Racings fluid thermostats and decided to try them out. I'm running the 165 degree unit and it made a drastic improvement. Even during the bitter cold winters the transmission fluid temps would be up to 165 within 10 minutes of me driving and hold steady right at 170 degrees. Needless to say I'm very happy with their product. Something to check out if you're interested. Made in the USA with a lifetime warranty. Can't beat it!

Improved Racing Fluid Thermostats
    - Matt

10. Likes STL_G8GT liked this post
    Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    Good to see you around. Glad it's still together! Hysterical I upgraded my trans cooler today...!

Is that a fan on your cooler?
    2009.5 SBM G8 GT--More mods than I care to talk about...

Post Thanks / Like

Who did your transmission tuning? I hope not the same guy that did the first 4.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket69GTP View Post
    Is that a fan on your cooler?
    It is. A 4" Spal puller fan, relay controlled via a thermostat (Derale 13021, 180 deg). They're super popular on ATVs and whatnot, and on the original cooler the largest I could fit was a 4" (it's just 124cfm). Where I have the cooler mounted now, the fan has to fit above the washer reservoir, so it fits great again. Had to make the bracket across the top out of some thin metal stock to mount the fan. I'm really using it to help in stop and go traffic.
    2009 PBM G8 GT

RIP Charlie - GRRRR8