Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soundproofing a wall

Post Thanks / Like

Default Soundproofing a wall

I know this is from left field, but wanted to share this for anyone who has noise or sound issues between rooms in their home.

We've got a hotel that was built in the 1970s, so the drywall is mounted to fiber board on 2x4 stud construction. Sometimes this can result in noise leaking from room to room. I've set out to fix it, and am working on a few solutions. The trial wall is using ib-1 isolation clips after I pulled off the existing drywall. The isolation clips get mounted on studs at either 16 or 24" on center, then 25 gauge drywall firring or hat channel fitted. This isolates the wall from the studbay a bit. Fine thread metal screws are used, with location important to not short out the channel to the stud. Outlet boxes have fire protection putty pads wrapped around behind them to deaden any sound, and are then sealed up to the drywall in front. We put in r13 insulation in, which by itself does very little, but the end result is a combined effect of all the individual changes. After the first layer of 5/8 sheetrock is up, acoustical sealant is used on all seams.

Next layer of 5/8" drywall will go up tomorrow, first ceiling, then wall, with a layer of green glue between, two tubes per sheet. Green glue creates a membrane that deadens vibrations and transfers the sound waves to heat.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

Post Thanks / Like

R13 is poop....blown in insulation or expanding spray foam is gooder
    09 G8 GT in Stryker Blue

Mods
    Go: Vararam CAI, SLP Headers, Magnaflow 12468 mid-muffler & PM-FL Axlebacks. Tuned by MAC Autosports of Parker, Colorado. FE3 Shocks N Struts.

Show: Little Trees US Flag Vanilla Scented Air Freshener; SLP G8 Firehawk wheels; tinted windows

The Track
    Best 1/4: 13.969 @ 102.70 @ Pueblo Motorsports Park, w/ DA of 3921'.

3. Likes STL_G8GT liked this post
    VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You can put a second set of studs up, offset a little, just enough not to touch. Drywall on one side is connected to one set of studs, the other side to the offset studs.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

5. Likes STL_G8GT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wyome View Post
    R13 is poop....blown in insulation or expanding spray foam is gooder
    As a thermal insulator, yes, r13 is bottom of the barrel. I did do research on types of insulation regarding sound wave impact for this project. For sound suppression even roxul sound insulation made specific for sound deadening tests just marginally (within margin of error for tests administered) better than good ol r13 in this application. They make a blown in that sticks to the wall, but that's again a negligible difference. If the hat channel wasn't a possibility because of depth, it would be worth the cost to spend extra on insulation. Spray foam also hasn't tested well in sound deadening situations at all from what I've seen.

Now that it's all up, I hope my research was correct.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    You can put a second set of studs up, offset a little, just enough not to touch. Drywall on one side is connected to one set of studs, the other side to the offset studs.
    Looked into this, and may try it on the next wall I do to compare with the hat channel on iso clips. Problem is I can't swap header/sill out so I'd have to do it on a 2x4 base. I suppose I could add a 2x1 at the base and top firred on.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    2009 PBM G8 GT

RIP Charlie - GRRRR8

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STL_G8GT View Post
    Looked into this, and may try it on the next wall I do to compare with the hat channel on iso clips. Problem is I can't swap header/sill out so I'd have to do it on a 2x4 base. I suppose I could add a 2x1 at the base and top firred on.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    That is what I would do. I suspect it would be cheaper than the channels you are using. I bet it would block just as much if not more noise too.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

Keep us updated
    I looked into doing all this when building my home theater in the basement, but decided against it since it was the only room down there.
    Really the only sound that gets out comes through the duct work so I should have changed that to the sound barrier kind, and my JL Audio Fathom sub that is 1200 watts doesn't help either lol
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I'd come back to this incase anyone attempts going this route.

First off, the IB-1 clips (also known as a-237 made by studco) mixed with 25 gauge hemmed edge hat channel, and two layers of drywall with Green Glue in between works wonders. The Green Glue takes about a month to "cure" and in that time from start to finish there is certainly a difference. In applications where I didn't want to lose too much floor space (this assembly is about 2 1/4 inches complete), I utilized horizontal blocking set back in the stud bay and then mounted the hat channel vertically. This takes the total assembly down to 1 1/2" - which is mostly the 2 layers of 5/8 drywall.

That said, flanking noise is a real B. What we've found is even though you soundproof a wall that is parallel to your living space, sound will jump into any perpendicular walls and work its way around the soundproofed wall. The noise is greatly reduced, but if you want total silence, be prepared to treat all shared walls.

We also used this technique for ceilings and it completely removed any "creaks" and greatly diminished the sound of impact noise (people walking, dropping suitcases, shoes, etc on the floor). Needless to say, it also silenced squeaky beds and toilet flushing.

We never tried the staggered stud route, because we found that the clips do what we want. I suppose sometime in the future I may give it a whirl, but now that I have a method that works for us, I'll stick to it.

Hope this helps anyone looking to attempt a sound proofing project.

Greg, regarding your HT project, mass is your friend, and I'd recommend two layers of 5/8 with two full tubes per 4x8 sheet or one layer of 5/8 and one layer of quiet rock with Green Glue in between. Bass behaves differently than higher range, so your division has to be pretty heavy and tonally dead to soak that up.
    2009 PBM G8 GT

RIP Charlie - GRRRR8

Post Thanks / Like

You really do a good job. return man 3 I'd like to see the updates.
    Last edited by Vivikos2; 09-10-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

From someone who has endured sleepless nights due to thin hotel room walls, THANK YOU for caring and investing your time and money to improve your customers quality of sleep. Wish every innkeeper cared as much as you do.
    2009 MGM GT: VCM CAI, ARH LT headers (no cats), Vector Tune, MT drag radials
    Procharger P1SC still powering the box it came in January 2010, hiding somewhere in the back of my man cave.
    PB: 12.533 @ 111.45 w/ 1.951 60' CLAIMING THE INTAKE/LT/TUNE/DR RECORD UNLESS SOMEBODY GOT GAME
    And nobody ever had game.

"There are but three true sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. The rest are merely games." Ernest Hemmingway

"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen in the movie LeMans

Only two things smell like fish...and one of them is fish. unknown

Assigned male at birth, I now identify as a lesbian, but with extra equipment.

13. Likes TooManyHobbies liked this post