Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: 2.5 or 3" exhaust?

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2.5 or 3" exhaust?

here is a interesting video
    https://youtu.be/_PVXvHkr-Vs
    Last edited by -Ray-; 05-18-2016 at 02:47 AM.
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

2. Likes Doug Hilliard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fixed it for you.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I watched this the other day. It won't make me get rid of my Corsa, but it makes me wonder what I'm losing with the 2.5" system. I would like to see them test crossovers next. X vs. H and do they make a difference?

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    Yep, I watched this the other day. It won't make me get rid of my Corsa, but it makes me wonder what I'm losing with the 2.5" system. I would like to see them test crossovers next. X vs. H and do they make a difference?
    At your level, probably less than 20hp, as evidenced by the video. You get up over 600 by very much and I bet it touches 50.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    Pat G 218/226 & TSP Dual 660s, ARP Bits, DSteck Tuned, Magnacharger Chrome 2300 1:1, RCR Ported/Polished TB, Blower, & L92 Heads w/ LS3 intake valves, Smith Brothers Trunion Bushing Kit, ARH 1 7/8 Magnaflow MidMuff/Solo Axlebacks, RotoFab, VaporWorx PWM 1:1 fuel system, ID1050x injectors
    Mike Norris Motorsports Catchcan, AEM 30-4100, JHP Boost/Fuel Gauge Pod
    TSW Nurburgring Matte Gray 18" w/Nitto 555 & 555R, Satin Black SS Brembo Fronts, BMR Trailing Arms, Pedders Sway Bars, Whiteline Bushings
    Gloss Black Valve Covers, 6k HID, V6 Handles, Interior/License Plate LEDs, Debadged, Holden Black Trim, Polk Dxi, GXP diffusor, a few bits from Crazy Paul

Originally Posted by TonyKarter
    Anyone who has ever worked on a car has been in your position, and sitting cross-legged on a concrete floor with a dim shop light is its own kind of hell... Chalk it up as one of the rites of passage.
    RIP Charlie - GRRRR8
    RIP Chris Wells - Panzer Leader

6. Likes Chewy liked this post
    VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That test was on an engine dyno on a NA build. If you are 500 rwhp NA you are getting close to 600 at the crank. If supercharged it is even more important because you are expending 100 to 150 hp turning the blower. 600 rwhp on a supercharged car is making 700 at the crank and moving the air equivalent to 800+.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a article that compliments the video. The key number is 2.2CFM/hp in general terms. Of coarse many variables, 2.2 is a good start.
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    An article I read a few years ago concluded both are better then none (unless your system is short enough to not need it) but the x was better depending on design of course. But there was benefits to the H. I don't remember the gains or the base but it was a fair amount of gain in the low-mid HP curve. Not a large gain over all.
    It went on to explain location was more important then anything and many factors go into placement.
    I would also like to see a good test of different designs not just a stamped x vs a kit H.
    2008 GT-M. PBM, #885

10. Likes Chewy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish they could have made it more apples to apples by adjusting for the AFR change. I wonder if leaning it out to what it was running with open headers might have lessened the difference.
    2009 PBM G8 GT
    TVS 1900 Maggie w/2.8" pulley, Maximizer 1-7/8" LTs, High Flow Cats, LS9 injectors, Rotofab CAI, LC-2 WB, 40A KB BAP, TR6ix plugs, self tuned, Camaro Paddle Shifters, UPR catch can, 4300k HIDs, Remote Start Heated Seat Control Module, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, JBL GTO628's, JL 8w3v3's w/JBL P180.2, Bridgestone RE-11s tires

Post Thanks / Like

They left a little bit on the table by not retuning the carb as well. Not a complete apples to apples comparison
    '09 GT White - Vararam, HID's, a catch can and BMR sways so far.
    '67 Firebird 400 4-spd - not stock.
    05 Dodge Ram
    05 Yamaha FJR1300
    94 Kawasaki KLR650

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/JoshHefnerX/g8