Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I am so tired of water leaks...

Post Thanks / Like

if you dont clean out the gunk thats plugging the drains at the bottom of your door [thats what makes the inner liner open up and pull away from the door frame, high water level inside usually] its just gonna keep on happening.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked inside and poked a wire into the drain from outside. I didn't see anything blocking it. I washed it Saturday and it was dry in there.
    Last edited by J Wikoff; 05-15-2017 at 06:15 AM.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like
    2009.5 G8 GT Maverick Silver;Sport/Prem,Sunroof, Nav kit,
    Vararam,Holden badge kit, Kooks 1 7/8, VMS Tuned
    2009 White Hot/Red G8 GT;Sport/Prem,Sunroof, Nav kit,,Holden badges,Kooks 1 7/8, Maggie TVS 1900,VMS Tuned. Injection is great but i love being blown!
    2001 Trans Am WS6 NBM/Camel, 6spd. 21K Miles
    2001 G/P GT= beater

Post Thanks / Like

Also please never shove anything into sunroof drains, the way we do it at GM is to open sunroof, find drain holes at left front and rt. Front of sunroof opening.take a 2 litre soda bottle of water etc. And pour at drain area and observe up to half an hour, if you dont see any draining there is a blockage, it should flow steady and not drip.Then use compressed air with a longer nozzle attatchment, and blow through each drain hole for 5 minutes, if no avail. You then flip up as much carpet as you can and have someone spray the hell of the outside of car while you are inside observing, you prob already knew all this but you must eliminate possibilities in steps.the reason for never to shove anything in the drain holes is that the fittings only slide on inside and are easily detatched, ask me how I know !.good luck and keep us posted
    2009.5 G8 GT Maverick Silver;Sport/Prem,Sunroof, Nav kit,
    Vararam,Holden badge kit, Kooks 1 7/8, VMS Tuned
    2009 White Hot/Red G8 GT;Sport/Prem,Sunroof, Nav kit,,Holden badges,Kooks 1 7/8, Maggie TVS 1900,VMS Tuned. Injection is great but i love being blown!
    2001 Trans Am WS6 NBM/Camel, 6spd. 21K Miles
    2001 G/P GT= beater

5. Likes Chewy liked this post
    Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I was still getting a little water on through the the rear driver side so I opened it again and patched a few places where the seal was thin. I also noticed that water was running down the end of a zip tie that holds the Infinity speaker dongle. The end was poking down through one of the holes in the sheetmetal. It was still on the sealed side of the liner, but maybe moving that zip tie away will reduce the amount of water that hits the back of the liner and runs down to the seal. That was Saturday. Today I saw water dripping from the top of the front passenger side door. Coming in right through the weatherstripping. So I ordered all 4 body side weatherstrips for an SS. Hope they all fit.

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:

Post Thanks / Like

In my 09 G8 GXP, about 56000 miles, sometimes rear carpets get wet after it is in the rain. Heavy rain. Also I have the same water marks as in your pictures except on plastic bottom door trim you see when rear doors are open. And below that trim also.
    Few times after I opened rear doors after/during rain a lot of water poured out from the door itself.
    I looked at drain holes in the door and it looked like the weatherstripping was closing the drain holes when door was closed. Also since I saw water pour out from the rear door when I opened it. So I cut small slots in weatherstripping by the drain holes.
    That didn't help. After that I still see water pour out from the rear door sometimes and rear carpets still get wet.

I did change all the speakers so I'm going to try to reseal the plastic sheet to the door with that 3M 086111 Window-Weld stuff after I check and clean the inside of the door for drain hole blockage.
    The thing is that 4 other vehicles never had an issue like this G8, (94 Cherokee, that sheet was just hanging there, whats left of it, 95 LHS, 01 LS V8 also had those sheets just hanging there after adhesive got dirty).

Front carpets never get wet. Does that mean sunroof drains are ok?
    Adam
    White G8 GXP

My G8 GXP photos http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=177ee89f3e
    1. Front bumper parking protection mod
    2. Roto-Fab cold air intake
    3. Doug Thorley triple Y headers
    4. Diablosport Trinity and custom tune

Post Thanks / Like

Don't buy cars with sunroofs. Don't drive in rain. Park in a garage.

Post Thanks / Like

if you ask me the problem is the vapor barrier is attached on the outside of the door. It should somehow tuck inside the door so the drips that come down the vapor barrier drop inside the door and out the drain holes. I drove around with no rear door panels and was surprised at the amount of drips I got on the vapor barrier even in light rain. And my seals at the window are in perfect shape. Just the fact that they are felt faced the water just migrates through them and into the door.

When taking off my vapor barrier for the first time since the factory there was quite the buildup of micro debris in he low spot that would catch all the water. If your barrier is sealed I assume the water just sits there till it evaporates. If there is a path in the butyl rubber it comes out the outer metal of the door and would drip on that plastic ledge. Then if the angel is right it goes right to the carpet.

Think this is from a camaro where they got the right idea. Vapor barrier tucks into a slot on the door that direct the water inside the door.

Maybe drilling some holes in the door at the low spots of the vapor barrier right above the butyl rubber line would get water out of there quick before it could find its way past the butyl rubber.
    Last edited by smwalker; 07-20-2017 at 09:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unavowed View Post
    Don't buy cars with sunroofs. Don't drive in rain. Park in a garage.
    I would rather park my 4 door convertible with the top down in the garage in the summer so I don't have to put back on the soft top on the Wrangler and drive it on very nice topless friendly days.
    Adam
    White G8 GXP

My G8 GXP photos http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=177ee89f3e
    1. Front bumper parking protection mod
    2. Roto-Fab cold air intake
    3. Doug Thorley triple Y headers
    4. Diablosport Trinity and custom tune

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Man. So I found water sitting on top of the weatherstrip at the bottom of the door (read:the interior side) at all 4 doors and wet carpets on both sides of the car recently, and trails that show water running towards the carpets. This is with fairly recent SS weatherstrips. I can't imagine all 4 door liners started leaking again at the same time. I just don't know what to try next. I kind of want to drill a hole in the door panel aligned with the top of the weatherstrip down there so that when water does run down there, it goes into the door instead of building up and going into the car.

Winter-wear: