Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Solo J pipes? Meh.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Solo J pipes? Meh.

So I caved and bought a set of Solo axle backs. I wouldn't say I'm dissatisfied with them but they weren't what I was expecting. its wayyyy better than stock but i was hoping for something different. The tone is very deep, more so than I was expecting and it has a nice burble on decel which sounds awesome. Initially I was getting a "crinkling paper" kind of sound so I tightened up all the connections a bit more and it helped but it's still notable when standing behind the car. I get an insufferable drone between 75 and 80 which is basically the only speed I travel on the highway, but it's new and it's not driving me nuts yet (yes, I've made adjustments to the j pipes with only marginal changes in tone but no solution for the drone yet). The one thing I'm most disappointed in are the tips. They hang back further than the stock tips so it's difficult for even me to see that they're aftermarket. And the fact that they have a brushed finish, they don't "pop". Even the stock tips were chrome and reflected enough light to stand out. These are dull and tucked back so far you dont notice them. It's also odd to me that they constantly sweat. Water beads up all over the tips even after a short (dry) drive, an issue I never noticed with the stock tips (although it's spring in Michigan and the weather probably has a lot to do with that). Overall I'm happier than I was but it's made me question whether or not they were worth the money. Anyone else experience any of these issues?

Post Thanks / Like

Stock solo tips should be polished. Do you have AFM still turned on in your car? If so, the j pipes don't help with drone.

And tip alignment is an issue I can't comment on.
    2015 White Hot Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick - BTR Stage 3 cam, headers, intake *Traded 11/11/2023*
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 - 6.2L, Ultimate Pack *Turned in 4/13/2021*
    2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick *Traded 2/1/18*
    2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Traded 7/7/16*
    2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT * Sold 6/10/14*

Post Thanks / Like

Well, at least you helped me with my next project. I was either getting Solo's next or getting PPV's, Teins, and Whiltelines. I'll wait on the Solos.
    '09 WH G8 GT
    Premium/Sport
    Red/Onyx
    Rotofab CAI
    Cortex 93 tune
    20% tint

I just wanted one.

4. Thanks pir4te thanked for this post
    Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like the sound from the Solo axlebacks. I did also put a layer of Second Skin Damplifier Pro under and behind the rear seat and rear deck, so maybe they helps quell any extra drone.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steering wheel, SOLO axle-backs, Magnaflow cats, Red Hot Shift Knob, Auto-dim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infinity door speakers, MTX Re-Q5, Pioneer Amp & RF Sub, LED lows & fogs, Spyder tails, Power Slot rotors, Wagner Thermoquiet pads, Chrome lug covers, Glovebox light,

Winter-wear:
    Bremmerkraft BR09 winter wheels, Weathertech floor liners, oil pan heater

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com