Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SLP headers with high flow cats cheapest option?...

Post Thanks / Like

Manzo's & solo HFC's as a kit are about 775.00. I got the pypes as I was not aware of the Manzos when I bought them. Not sure if they were available(manzos) when I bought the pypes.
    G8 GT K & N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam 219/223 .625/.625 DOD with LS3 valves , LS7 lifters, BTR SKOO1 springs, 7.425 Comp cam pushrods & SLP UDP. AC tensioner upgrade.

V6 Spectre CAI, Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by norm8332 View Post
    The mids are alot shorter than the SLPs and the gains are very small if you keep the factory cats.
    Kooks mids come with high flow cats, so the stock cats are gone.

Rotohack 102 intake - 102 MAF - TPIS 102 TB - TVS1900 ported & plated w 8 rib 2.5" front + OD rear
    PnP Interchiller - RCR ported heads - RCR Lunati 219/231 113+1 - Forged Bottom End
    ARH 2" LT headers - Solo 3" CB - MT DRs + M&H FRs on Weld RT-S
    CTS-V fuel w Vaporworx - FAST 85s - Alkycontrol meth M15 + M10 - RCR tune
    9.75@139.2 ? rwhp ? rwtq

Post Thanks / Like

The SLP are ceramic coated inside and out plus polished and include cats...

Figure even the cheapest option / pacesetters will "require" cats and welding and will no doubt more more costly in the end than the SLPs

I'm going SLP I guess
    If I was not going to use cats DT

I've got to do this job my self so it makes the most sense to me...
    Thanks for your help and advice!

Post Thanks / Like

The mids are alot shorter than the SLPs and the gains are very small if you keep the factory cats.
    The Kooks mids come with kooks hi-flo cats and are the same length as the SLP with their cats. Both Kooks mids (with the cats that come with them) and SLP (with the cats that come with them) are made to bolt up to stock or aftermarket catbacks in the factory locations. The tubes on the SLP are a little longer because their collector is not quite as long as the Kooks mids. The tubes on the Kooks mids are shorter in order to have a longer collector.

Also, the Kooks mids have SS 1 7/8" tubes but they are not coated. The SLP have SS 1 3/4" tubes and they are coated.

At MD Speed the SLP w/cats are $959. Kooks mids w/cats are $837 (uncoated) or $1062 (coated).
    Last edited by G8V8; 04-02-2016 at 07:17 PM.
    3rd in Class, All-GM Nationals 2008 & 2009
    Award of Excellence, All-GM Nationals 2010 & 2012
    Celebrity Pick Award, All-GM Nationals 2010
    G8Board.Com G8 of the Year, 2010
    Inaugural G8Board.com G8 of the Month, January 2010
    3rd in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show 2013 & 2015
    Top 40 / 487, 29th Annual Cruisin' to the Creek Car Show 2015
    1st in Class, 6th Annual Southeast G8 Extravaganza, 2016
    1st in Class, Wide Track Warriors Car Show, 2016
    1st in Class, WTW Fall Classic Pontiac Car Show, Amelia Island, 2016

HSV E3 Bumper and Fenders
    VMS DoD-Delete with heads
    TVS1900
    RCR Lunati 215/223 .609/.615 112+0
    RCR TB
    Kooks 1 7/8 Mids+SOLO Mach
    Pedders V8 SuperCar Coilover Track II w/ STB
    BMR Adj LCA, Toe links & trailing arms
    ZL1 Brakes
    Circle_D built 6L80E. 3.27 diff
    Roto-Fab
    Crazy Paul 5-Gauge Pod / Speedhut Gauges

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the tubes are longer that's what i meant. My cats are gutted so they basically extend the collector the way they mount...to each their own I'm happy with them and that's what counts. And they are still shiny after 40K miles of use so if you like to show off your clean engine it's a plus.
    Last edited by norm8332; 04-03-2016 at 12:15 PM.
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the tubes are longer that's what i meant. My cats are gutted so they basically extend the collector the way they mount...to each their own I'm happy with them and that's what counts. And they are still shiny after 40K miles of use so if you like to show off your clean engine it's a plus.
    Nice, I'm considering this more and more..
    So basically the gains are comparable with the SLP vs the Kooks?
    Are the SLP stainless under the coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, They are stainless. The coating stops them from becoming discolored and supposedly holds the heat in the pipes a bit better. As for gains the difference hasn't been documented on the G8 as far as I know but they are most likely comparable..I like to think there better because of the longer tubes but that is just a guess without a dyno comparison.
    08 G8 GT: MagnaCharger TVS MP1900 10psi, LS9 cam, 72# injectors, Roto-Fab CAI, SLP Headers, Corsa Catback, etc.
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, They are stainless. The coating stops them from becoming discolored and supposedly holds the heat in the pipes a bit better. As for gains the difference hasn't been documented on the G8 as far as I know but they are most likely comparable..I like to think there better because of the longer tubes but that is just a guess without a dyno comparison.
    Nice, guess when I was reading the description at Maryland and summit I could have noticed that it does indeed say "stainless"
    Did you run into any fitment tissues, How long did I take you?

Post Thanks / Like

I was going too install them but I ended up having Mike from New Era Performance do it since I was going to his shop to get it tuned anyways. He said they went right in with no issues.
    My Garage

Post Thanks / Like

keep your eye open on ebay and craigslist. I found a set of kooks mids for 500$ shipped to me. they are in great shape and still look great. they use nice stainless. I have done a lot of research and with just the bolt ons the kooks may be the way to go for you if you find a used set. There is not much difference between the two and technically you really just want to rid yourself of the factory cats and add a little better exhaust flow.
    2008 g8 gt iom

2011 Ford flex ecoboost