Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Cats or No Cats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cats or No Cats

Good morning everyone...I need some feedback.
    08 IOM GT, 75k miles, Daily Driver.
    I'm looking at going to LT's. What's the benefit of going with or without Cats? Any feedback will be openly accepted. I'm just trying to get an idea so I know what kind of price I may be looking at.
    I've spent the last hour searching through the forum for this specific topic and wasn't able to locate any detailed info. If I missed it, please let me know. I don't want to waste anybody's time if this topic is already covered.
    Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by jameshlynam; 03-14-2016 at 03:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

With a basically stock engine, there's really not that much of a benefit. You might gain maybe 5-10 HP without them.

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

Post Thanks / Like

I have read about the issues with the smell of the exhaust. Is it really that bad without the cats?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jameshlynam View Post
    I have read about the issues with the smell of the exhaust. Is it really that bad without the cats?
    It won't be as bad if your motor is all stock, but yeah, the cats reduce the fuel smell quite a bit!

2009.5 MSM GXP 500ish N/A RWHP. Mods include but aren't limited to: Texas Speed 418 (6.8L) fully forged held together with ARP from top to bottom, PRC 255cc heads, Rick Crawford intake plenum, TB port, polish and tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI w/LS7 MAF, Kooks 1-7/8" headers wrapped with DEI, Corsa catless system, Circle D 3200 Stall, 3.45 final drive, BMR's complete street bushing kit and sway bars, Eibach Pro Kit, G-Force Axles, running on staggered VMR 710's with Bridgestone RE11 rubber. HSV triple gauge pack with Calais smokers kit mod, V6 tails, debadge/rebadge, V6 door handles, AU black door trim, Maverick Man under hood strut covers, & washer and bolt kit, fully corrected paint thanks to Adams Polishes and my hard work. Built with reliability in mind with some power for those times when you need to pass or go over a big hill. Just a poser, not a racer!

5. Thanks jameshlynam thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you remove the cats without them being tuned out you'll end up with a dtc and you to be able to remote start.
    My G8 was catless for several years. Yeah, it smells, keep moving.
    Removing the cats are mostly helpful for the hp crowd.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ray- View Post
    If you remove the cats without them being tuned out you'll end up with a dtc and you to be able to remote start.
    My G8 was catless for several years. Yeah, it smells, keep moving.
    Removing the cats are mostly helpful for the hp crowd.
    Thanks for the post. I'm not really in it for the hp. Don't get me wrong...I definitely want more hp. I'm more in it for upgraded performance. I don't track the car, and not sure if I ever will since it's a DD. I have the car tuned right now through HPTuners. What a difference it made. I already talked to my tuner and he said it's not a problem to tune out the cats when I go to LTH.

Post Thanks / Like

Deleting the cats will net you about 10 hp. If you can turn off the inspection, get rid of them.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

Sold

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

9. Thanks jameshlynam thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback